||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guideline for biographies. (July 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Mahmood in 2010
|Native name||শওকত মাহমুদ|
|Born||29 July 1959|
|Education||University of Dhaka|
|Occupation||Newspaper editor, political advisor|
|Political party||Bangladesh Nationalist Party|
Shaukat Mahmood (born 29 July 2010; also spelled as Shawkat Mahmud) is a Bangladeshi journalist and politician.
At The 5th National Council of Bangladesh Nationalist Party on 8 December 2009, Shaukat Mahmood became an adviser to the party chairperson Begum Khaleda Zia. Later the party named him as a vice chairman of the 6th council in August 2016.
Early life and education
Career in journalism
Mahmood’s early career in journalism comprises his association as a senior staff reporter with the one of the oldest left-leaning Bengali newspaper The Sangbad. He also served as a senior journalist as well as in the panels of editorial of the dailies Dinkal, Amar Desh, Amader Shomoy and Matribhumi.
As a journalist Shaukat Mahmood presently serves as editor of Weekly Economic Times and has been an adviser of Channel One, which was shut down by the government on 27 April 2010. Mahmood was elected as the general secretary of Bangladesh Federal Union of Journalists (BFUJ) along with Ruhul A Gazi, Special Correspondent of The Daily Sangram, elected as the president.
In 1990 Mahmood was elected as General Secretary of the National Press Club, Dhaka. He served two consecutive terms as the general secretary. Another two terms of his being GS came in 2002 and he again held the post until 2006. In 2007, Shaukat Mahmood was elected as the president of National Press Club. The tenure ended as he stepped aside from running in the immediate next election in 2011. Mahmood presently serves as the editor of 1995-established Weekly Economic Times. He is also actively serving as an adviser of the Weekly Ekhon editorial panel.
Mahmood’s official entry into politics took place after the party’s December 2008 council named him as an adviser to the chairperson of Bangladesh Nationalist Party. Upon the appointment, Mahmood actively took part in the grass-root conferences of the party in Khulna, Jessore, Barisal and Mymensingh.
Mahmood was nominated as a vice-chairman of BNP at the 6th party council held in August 2016.
- President of National Press Club, Media Bangladesh
- "বিএনপি কমিটি-‘কাঁচা’ হাত-‘পাকা’ হাত". Bangladesh Pratidin.
- "Fletcher Alumni, Fall'09" (PDF). The Fletcher School, Tufts University. p. 10. Archived from the original (PDF) on 12 June 2011.
- চ্যানেল ওয়ান বন্ধ] [Channel One Off]. Bdnews24.com (in Bengali). 27 April 2010. Archived from the original on 19 March 2012.
- বিএফইউজে নির্বাচন: রুহুল সভাপতি, শওকত মহাসচিব [Shaukat Elected BFUJ Secretary-General]. Bdnews24.com. 20 March 2011. Archived from the original on 14 August 2011.
- "Highlights : 5th BNP Council". Focus Bangla. Archived from the original on 2011-07-11.
- News Feed of Bangladesh Nationalist Party, Bangladesh Nationalist Party website[dead link]
- "Vision ad on Bangla Tribune সাংবাদিক থেকে রাজনীতিবিদ". Bangla Tribune.