Channel 1 (Bangladesh)
Channel 1 Logo
|Launched||24 January 2006|
|Closed||27 April 2010|
|Owned by||One Entertainment Limited|
|Slogan||(Bengali:সম্ভাবনার কথা বলে)|
|Formerly called||Bangla Channel (1993–2005)|
Channel One was a Bangladeshi pay television channel from Bangladesh. It started broadcasting on 24 January 2006 from its studio in Uday Tower, Gulshan, Dhaka. It was owned by One Entertainment Limited, a sister concern of One Group.
In 2006, One Entertainment secured a loan from Prime Bank, pledging the station's broadcasting equipment as collateral. In 2008, the bank called in the loan and, when it was not repaid, sold the equipment at auction to People's Entertainment Ltd. Channel One continued operating, with what the Bangladesh Telecommunication Regulatory Commission (BTRC) found was rented broadcasting equipment, which is a violation of Bangladesh telecommunications law. Consequently, the BTRC shut down the channel on 27 April 2010 at about 6:40 pm. Its final transmission was its 6:30 pm news bulletin.
- "Channel One goes on air from Jan 24". The New Nation. Dhaka. 15 January 2006. Archived from the original on 25 September 2006.
- "Schedule". Channel One. Archived from the original (DOC) on 28 January 2008.
- "HC dismisses Channel 1 challenge over auction". bdnews24. 9 April 2009. Retrieved 21 October 2015.
- "Channel 1 shut". The Daily Star. 28 April 2010. Retrieved 21 October 2015.
- "Channel 1 goes off air after govt order". New Age. Dhaka. 28 April 2010. Archived from the original on 2 May 2010. Retrieved 21 October 2015.
- Khan, Ashfaq Wares (16 March 2007). "10 TV Channels: Licences available in lightning fast speed". The Daily Star.
|This article about media in Bangladesh is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|