Shaun Meiklejohn competing in the 2014 Mandela Marathon
|Alma mater||University of Natal|
|Known for||Comrades Marathon winner|
Shaun Meiklejohn (born 30 November 1961 in Pretoria, South Africa) is a South African marathon and ultra-marathon athlete, most widely known for his winning of the 1995 Comrades Marathon, the 89 km marathon between Durban & Pietermaritzburg. Before the 2014 race winner Bongmusa Mthembu, he was the most recent winner from the race province, KwaZulu-Natal. He has run the race a total of 29 times.
Early life and education
Running career and comeback
During the peak of his career, Shaun Meiklejohn earned 10 gold Comrades medals between 1989 and 1999, and a top 15 finish in the Two Oceans Ultra-marathon in 1994. "In 1994 he represented South Africa at the World 100km Champs in Japan, finishing fourth, a result he repeated a year later in the Netherlands. He also won the famous London to Brighton ultra in the UK in 1994." (Modern Athlete, 2010).
In 2010 he returned to the Comrades starting line for the 22nd time, after a seven year break from running. His running career since then has been largely focused around raising money for charities such as the Amabeadiebeadie, the Red Cap Foundation, iThemba Projects, and the Pietermaritzburg Community Chest.
His performance in the 2013, 2014, and 2015 editions of the Comrades Marathons have seen him winning the Masters category, with Bruce Fordyce commenting in 2013 that Meiklejohn's run was "arguably the best performance of [the] year".
As of 2014, he runs for a Pietermaritzburg-based running club, SAVE Orion Athletics, has started blogging about his training and charity work, and is a Director at a training & consulting company, Innovative Shared Services.
- Super User. "Comrades Marathon History". comrades.com.
- "Running is my life – Bong'musa Mthembu - City Press". City Press. Archived from the original on 10 June 2014.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 26 October 2014. Retrieved 17 June 2013.CS1 maint: Archived copy as title (link)[_id]=100880
- "Runner History". twooceansmarathon.org.za.
- "Shaun's Back Again". modernathlete.co.za.
- "Bruce Fordyce - parkrun South Africa". parkrun.co.za.
- "Save Orion RaceUpcoming Events » » 09th November 2014 – 21Km Fun Run/Walk". saveorionrace.co.za. Archived from the original on 4 October 2014.
- "Shaun Meiklejohn". Shaun Meiklejohn.