Spence playing for the Balmain Tigers in 2012.
11 October 1991 |
Griffith, New South Wales, Australia
|Height||189 cm (6 ft 2 in)|
|Weight||106 kg (16 st 10 lb)|
Source: Rugby League Project
Shaun Spence (born 11 October 1991) is an Australian retired professional rugby league footballer. He played for the Wests Tigers in the National Rugby League, playing in the positions of lock and prop.
Spence was captaining the Balmain Ryde Eastwood Tigers in 2012 when he suffered a season-ending knee injury. "By the time I got to the sheds, it was the size of two knees and I knew I was in a bit of strife. The specialist surgeon, Dr Simon Tan, said it looked as though a bomb had exploded inside my knee. He made it very clear this was a career threatening injury."
In Round 6 of the 2013 NRL season Spence made his NRL debut for the Tigers against the St. George Illawarra Dragons. He played in nine games throughout the season, scoring one try. He received a number of concussions during the season, losing 70% of his ear drum. In July 2013, Spence signed a 2-year contract with the Penrith Panthers starting in 2014. Coach Mick Potter said, "Disappointing to see him go but happy to see him get an opportunity and earn some reasonable money at another club."
Spence spent two season with the Panthers without playing first grade. In his first season, he was rested after being concussed "a few" times. Although receiving from the Panthers, Spence received medical advice to play no further rugby league, facing the risk of permanent brain injury. Panthers CEO Trent Pascoe said, "He could've travelled overseas or played Nintendo because he was still getting contract money. He asked every single person [at the Penrith offices] what needed to be done and how he could learn." Spence said, "I may never have played another NRL game but at 23 I can't even go join a local team and play with a bunch of mates. My whole dream was taken away from me."
- "Shaun Spence player results, scores, news and statistics". Rleague.com. Retrieved 6 September 2013.
- Wayne Cousins (7 February 2013). "A long hard journey for Shaun Spence". weststigers.com.au. Retrieved 2 September 2013.
- "Team Changes: Wests Tigers vs Dragons". Weststigers.com.au. 14 April 2013. Retrieved 6 September 2013.
- Brock Corfe (24 August 2013). "Young guns - Shaun Spence". weststigers.com.au. Retrieved 10 September 2013.
- "NRL Grand Final Qualifier Preview: Penrith Panthers vs Canterbury Bulldogs". Panthers. 14 September 2014. Retrieved 13 December 2015.
- Carayannis, Michael (20 December 2015). "Concussion retirement led to 'dark spot' for Shaun Spence who has re-joined Wests Tiger". Sydney Morning Herald. Fairfax. Retrieved 20 December 2015.
- "2016 NRL player transfers". nrl.com. Retrieved 20 September 2015.
- "Tedesco spends time with Ashcroft Public School students". weststigers.com.au. 11 December 2015. Retrieved 13 December 2015.