|Birth name||Shawn Hlookoff|
|Born||September 5, 1984|
Castlegar, British Columbia, Canada
|Occupation(s)||Singer, songwriter, producer|
Creative Soul Entertainment
Hook studied piano through the Royal Conservatory from as early as age 4. In high school, he played piano and trombone in a jazz combo and jazz big band under the guidance of Rick Lingard. Shawn enrolled in a music composition course at Mount Sentinel Secondary School and started writing and recording his own music.
His first release using his real name Shawn Hlookoff was in 2004, after Colin Davison aka Jude Davison his vocal teacher at Selkirk College Music School offered to produce it. He also gigged with the disco cover band Shag as a trombone player and back-up vocalist. Enrolling at The Art Institute in Vancouver, he studied audio engineering. He released a second independent 11-track album in 2006 titled Both Sides also credited as Shawn Hlookoff.
He was the first artist/songwriter to sign to ABC Studios in Los Angeles in 2008. During that time, he made a live appearance on Good Morning America. His compositions were featured on several ABC TV including "Life in Faith" on Eli Stone, "She Could Be You" on Kyle XY and "Be Myself" in Greek. His song "Without You" premiered on MTV's series The Hills. His music was also featured in other series like Samurai Girl, General Hospital etc. During his time in Los Angeles, he landed his first acting role as a guest star on the Fox TV show Bones.
Adopting the artistic name Shawn Hook, he released his official debut album Cosmonaut and the Girl produced by Jon Levine on EMI with "So Close", "Every Red Light" and "Two Hearts Set on Fire" as singles from the album. He released a holiday song called, "Follow the Lights" in 2012. In 2013 He collaborated with DJ Poet Nam Life and Chebacca on a song called "Laser Ray", released on Listen Deep Records. It was with his 2014 hit single "Million Ways" released on 2 September 2014 that he gained popularity and following becoming his then most successful charting single on Billboard Canadian Hot 100 giving him three simultaneous hits on the Canadian Hot 100. His highest charting single is "Sound of Your Heart", which has peaked at #23 as of June 6, 2015. "Sound of Your Heart" was featured in promotional commercials for Season 20 of The Bachelor.
On December 21, 2015 it was announced that Hook had signed a deal with major US label Hollywood Records. Hollywood and ABC share the same Parent company bringing Hook's US Songwriting and Recording contracts together under one deal. In the fall of 2016, Hook joined Lindsey Stirling on her North American tour. In February 2016, he was picked as Elvis Duran's Artist of the Month and was featured on NBC's Today show hosted by Kathy Lee Gifford and Hoda Kotb and broadcast nationally where he performed live his single "Sound of Your Heart". Later in 2016, he opened for Marianas Trench on their North American tour.
In April 2017, Hook released the single "Reminding Me" featuring Vanessa Hudgens. The two star in the music video, which was also released that month. They performed the duet on the season 14 finale of So You Think You Can Dance.
Hook is signed to Kreative Soul Entertainment, Inc. under exclusive license to EMI Music Canada. He has a worldwide deal with Hollywood Records for releases outside of Canada.
He established the charity "Feed The Need" with longtime friend Kara Martin, and collected donations for various charities as well as performing at various regional high schools to raise food for the local food bank. Today, he continues with the charity registered and it's been rebranded as "Live To Give".
|Cosmonaut and the Girl||
|Title||EP details||Peak positions|
|My Side of Your Story||74|
|Year||Single||Peak chart positions||Certifications||Album|
|2008||"Without You"[A]||—||—||—||—||—||—||Non-album singles|
|2012||"Follow the Lights"||—||47||—||—||—||—|
|"So Close"||68||10||—||10||—||—||Cosmonaut and the Girl|
|"Every Red Light"||65||—||35||18||—||—|
|2013||"Two Hearts Set on Fire"||—||22||—||34||—||—|
|2014||"Million Ways"||44||8||13||8||—||—||Analog Love|
|2015||"Sound of Your Heart"||23||12||8||8||5||24|
(featuring Vanessa Hudgens)
|30||7||8||4||—||—||My Side of Your Story|
|"Never Let Me Let You Go"||—||47||15||23||—||—|
|"—" denotes a recording which failed to chart or was not released to that format.|
- "Without You" was released under the name Shawn Hlookoff.
- as Shawn Hlookoff
- 2008: Kyle XY - "She Could Be You"
- 2008: Eli Stone - "Life in Faith"
- 2009: The Hills - "Without You"
- 2009: Greek - "Be Myself"
- 2009: Bitter/Sweet - "Straight to You"
- 2009: The Suite Life on Deck - "Wonderful Surprise"
Awards and nominations
|2013||Juno Awards||Breakthrough Artist of the Year||Himself||Nominated|||
|2016||Fan Choice Award||Nominated|||
|2017||Canada's Walk of Fame||Allan Slaight Honour||Recipient|||
- "Shawn Hook - Sound Of Your Heart - The Bachelor | Facebook". www.facebook.com. Retrieved 21 January 2016.
- "Shawn Hook's Upcoming North American Tour With Lindsey Stirling!" hyvetown.com, September 23, 2016.
- Lynn Saxberg, "Concert Review: Marianas Trench are back in rocking form," Ottawa Citizen, November 19, 2016.
- Alex Riccardi, "Vanessa Hudgens Cozies Up to a New Man in 'Reminding Me' Music Video," J-14, April 21, 2017.
- Kelly Connolly, "So You Think You Can Dance finale recap: Who is America's Favorite Dancer?" Entertainment Weekly, September 25, 2017.
- CBC.ca: Shawn Hook - Artist - biographical info
- "Cosmonaut and the Girl by Shawn Hook". iTunes Store (Canada). Apple Inc. Retrieved 27 January 2016.
- "Analog Love by Shawn Hook". iTunes Store (Canada). Apple Inc. Retrieved 27 January 2016.
- "Shawn Hook Chart History (Canadian Albums)". Billboard. Retrieved 13 October 2017.
- "Shawn Hook Set To Release 'My Side Of Your Story' Ep June 16". Universal Music. 1 June 2017. Retrieved 16 June 2017.
- "Shawn Hook Chart History (Canadian Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved 13 October 2017.
- "Shawn Hook Chart History (Canada AC)". Billboard. Retrieved 13 October 2017.
- "Shawn Hook Chart History (Canada CHR/Top 40)". Billboard. Retrieved 13 October 2017.
- "Shawn Hook Chart History (Canada Hot AC)". Billboard. Retrieved 13 October 2017.
- "Shawn Hook Chart History (Bubbling Under Hot 100)". Billboard. Retrieved 13 October 2017.
- "Shawn Hook Chart History (Pop Songs)". Billboard. Retrieved 13 October 2017.
- "Without You - Single by Shawn Hlookoff". iTunes Store (Canada). Apple Inc. Retrieved 27 January 2016.
- Kelly, Jim (3 May 2016). "Shawn Hook: Singer-Songwriter Finds Strength in Numbers". SOCAN. Retrieved 13 October 2017.
- "Canadian single certifications – Shawn Hook – Sound of Your Heart". Music Canada.
- "Canadian single certifications – Shawn Hook – Reminding Me". Music Canada.
- "Breakthrough Artist of the Year 2013: Shawn Hook," Juno Awards, 2013.
- Elio Iannacci, "Juno-nominated singer Shawn Hook opens up about love, Bieber’s comeback + more," Fashion, March 10, 2016.
- Canada's Walk of Fame Allan Slaight Honour Accessed January 22, 2018