Sheetal Vyas – Austin Film Festival 2010
Sheetal Vyas is a film producer.
Career in Media, Marketing, Entertainment
Sheetal started her career as an Assistant Director on a documentary about Raja Ravi Varma directed by Nandan Khudayadi. It went to win the Indian National Award for Best Documentary. Sheetal joined UTV Television under Zarina Mehta and Ronnie Screwala as the Assistant Producer for many Television shows like Junglee Toofan Tyre Puncture, Kab Kyon Aur Kaha, Positive Health Show.
She also worked briefly with Profiles and Projection on an advertising show called Ad Mad. While at Profiles and Projections, she also worked on EPK for two movies – Prakash Jha's Mrityudand and G. P. Sippy's movie
She moved to US in 2001 to become Assistant Vice President of Cinemaya Media Group, then one of the largest South Asian media, entertainment and marketing conglomerates in the US. While at the company, Sheetal produced shows of Indian television programming across genres, oversaw publication of several newspaper titles, and ran Elephant Advertising, an advertising agency, which was one of the top 15 multi-cultural advertising agencies (ranked by Ad-Age).
Festivals, Awards, Appearances
Sheetal’s debut film When Harry Tries to Marry has become a festival darling. It has won Best Audience Award, Best Crossover Film, and Best New Talent at London Asian Film Festival. It also won Best Feature Film (Comedy) at Jersey Shore Film Festival. The film was a marquee screening of the Austin Film Festival, where it had its World Premiere, and its international premiere was at Mumbai Film Festival. The film was an official selection of the Gold Coast International Film Festival.
One of her current projects is Billion Dollar Raja, inspired by the true story of the largest insider trading case in US History. She conceptualized the idea and co-wrote the story for the script with Nayan Padrai. The script has been an honoree of the Writer’s Guild of America’s Feature Access Project, featured by The Black List website, and was selected for the Producer’s Guild of America’s Power of Diversity Workshop. The project is set up with Ideate Media, with both Sheetal and Nayan attached.
Sheetal is currently co-writing a screenplay based on the true-story of one of French literature’s most beloved authors. She is attached as a producer on a film to be shot in India, which will be executive produced by Terrence Malick. Sheetal develops material for film, TV and web as a creative producer and writing-collaborator with a focus on true stories or adaptations of literary properties.
- DFW.com. "Globespinning with Nayan Padrai".
- Kaushik, Himanshu (July 10, 2010). "NRG with Kutchi origins directs Hollywood film". Ahmedabad: The Times of India.
- UTV. "About Us".
- Zee Cine Awards. "Zee Cine Awards".
- Cinemaya Media Group. "Television".
- Padrai, Nayan. "Biography". 108 Production.
- Bollywood.com (February 25, 2008). "Cinemaya takes over DD India".
- Cinemaya Media Group. "Elephant Advertising".
- harrytriestomarry. "World Premiere Featurette".
- When Harry Tries to Marry. "Festivals and Awards".
- Ithaca College (February 18, 2011). "Screening and Q&A".
- Stonybrook University (November 1, 2011). "Screening and Q&A". Archived from the original on September 10, 2011.