|Headquarters||Longonot Road, Upper Hill
Managing Director & CEO
|Products||Project finance, Institutional lending, Equity investments, Trade finance & Social housing|
|Revenue||US$ 4.75 million (2013)|
|Total assets||US$270,189,481 (2013)|
|Owner||44 African Governments
Shelter Afrique (SAf), also known as Company for Habitat and Housing in Africa, is a pan-African finance institution created to exclusively support the development of the African real estate and housing sector. Through its strategic partnerships, it offers products and related services which support the efficient delivery of commercial real estate and affordable housing.
The main offices of the organization are located in a building on Longonot Road, Upper Hill, in Nairobi, the capital of Kenya. A regional office is located at 1129, Muhktar El-Yakub’s Place, Central Business District, Abuja, Nigeria's capital city.
As of December 2013[update], SAf was a large multinational organization with total assets valued at approximately US$270.2 million, and shareholders' equity of about US$106.1 million. Besides using its own funds, SAf has a list of collaborating financial institutions which provide funding for onward lending in the real estate and housing arena within the continent. Partner funding sources include: (a) Netherlands Development Finance Company (FMO) (b) French Development Agency (AFD) (c) European Investment Bank (EIB) and (d) Commercial Bank of Africa (CBA). SAf also works in collaboration with several international organizations with similar objectives, namely: 1. International Union of Housing Finance (IUHF) 2. Centre for Affordable Housing Finance in Africa (CAHF) and 3. UN Habitat for A Better Urban Future (UN-Habitat).
The organization has 44 member African countries and two African financial multinational institutions:
- African Re
- Cape Verde
- EQ Guinea
- Ivory Coast
- Sao Tome
- Sierra Leone
- Mutegi, Mugambi (24 June 2014). "Shelter Afrique Picks Ugandan As New MD". Business Africa Daily. Retrieved 26 June 2014.
- SAf, . (15 March 2014). "Shelter Afrique 2013 Annual Report & Accounts". Shelter Afrique (SAf). Retrieved 26 June 2014.
- Anyanzwa, James (22 June 2014). "Shelter Afrique Secures KSh1.7 Billion Housing Projects In Africa". The Standard (Kenya). Retrieved 26 June 2014.
- SAf, . (2013). "Shelter Afrique: History & Partners". Shelter Afrique (SAf). Retrieved 26 June 2014.
- SAf, . (15 March 2014). "Detailed Shareholding In Shelter Afrique (Part of 2013 Financial Report)". Shelter Afrique (SAf). Retrieved 26 June 2014.
- Wahito, Margaret (22 August 2014). "Kenya: James Mugerwa Named Shelter Afrique Boss". Capital FM (Nairobi) via AllAfrica.com. Retrieved 25 August 2013.