Tributary to Beaver River
|Source||Pymatuning Swamp (divide between Shenango River and French Creek)|
|• location||Sadsbury Township, Pennsylvania|
|• elevation||1,010 ft (310 m)|
|New Castle, Pennsylvania|
|760 ft (230 m)|
|Length||82.66 mi (133.03 km)|
|Basin size||1,065.33 square miles (2,759.2 km2)|
|• location||Beaver River|
|• average||1,381.73 cu ft/s (39.126 m3/s) at mouth with Beaver River|
|River system||Beaver River|
|• left||Little Shenango River|
Pine Hollow Run
|• right||Linesville Creek|
The Shenango River is a principal tributary of the Beaver River, approximately 100 mi (160 km) long, in western Pennsylvania in the United States. It also briefly flows through small portions of northeastern Ohio. Via the Beaver and Ohio Rivers, it is part of the watershed of the Mississippi River.
The Shenango, whose name comes from the Iroquoian "Shanango," meaning "the beautiful one," rises in west-central Crawford County and initially flows northwestwardly into the Pymatuning Reservoir, which was formed in 1934 by the construction of a dam on the river. The lake turns to the south, widening into Ashtabula County, Ohio, and passing through Pymatuning State Park. Below the dam and after returning fully to Pennsylvania, the Shenango flows south-southeastwardly into Mercer County, flowing through Jamestown and Greenville before turning westwardly into Shenango River Lake, formed in 1965 by a United States Army Corps of Engineers dam. Below that dam, the Shenango flows southwestwardly through the communities of Sharpsville and Sharon (near which it briefly enters Trumbull County, Ohio); then south-southeastwardly past Farrell, Wheatland and West Middlesex into Lawrence County, where it passes New Castle and Oakland. It joins the Mahoning River to form the Beaver River, 3 mi (4.8 km) southwest of New Castle.
Tributaries of the Shenango include the short Little Shenango River, which flows for its entire length in Mercer County and joins the Shenango from the east at Greenville; Pymatuning Creek, which flows into Shenango River Lake; and Neshannock Creek, which joins the river at New Castle.
- "New Castle Topo Map, Lawrence County PA (New Castle North Area)". TopoZone. Locality, LLC.
- "GNIS Detail - Shenango River". geonames.usgs.gov. US Geological Survey. Retrieved 28 July 2019.
- "New Castle Topo Map, Lawrence County PA (New Castle North Area)". TopoZone. Locality, LLC. Retrieved 28 July 2019.
- "ArcGIS Web Application". epa.maps.arcgis.com. US EPA. Retrieved 28 July 2019.
- "Shenango River Watershed Report". Waters Geoviewer. US EPA. Retrieved 28 July 2019.
- Columbia Gazetteer of North America entry for Shenango River Archived 2007-03-12 at the Wayback Machine
- DeLorme (2003). Pennsylvania Atlas & Gazetteer. Yarmouth, Maine: DeLorme. ISBN 0-89933-280-3
- Columbia Gazetteer of North America entry for Pymatuning Reservoir Archived 2007-03-12 at the Wayback Machine
- United States Army Corps of Engineers website for Shenango River Lake Archived 2007-10-27 at the Wayback Machine
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Little Shenango River