Sherry Chen (politician)
|Member of Parliament: National Council of Province for Gauteng|
January 21, 2009 – September 2010
|Member of Parliament for Boksburg, Johannesburg|
|City Councillor: Johannesburg City Council|
2000 – 2004
|Born||Chen Qianhui (陈阡蕙, Chén Qiānhuì)
15 December 1955
|Political party||Democratic Alliance|
|Alma mater||National Taiwan University (B.A. in Trade and Commerce)|
|Website||Sherry Chen: DA Member of the NCOP for Gauteng|
Sherry Chen (Chinese: 陈阡蕙; pinyin: Chén Qiānhuì) is a South African businesswomen and member of Parliament. Chen immigrated to South Africa in 1981. First working at a textile factory as an English sectary for a Taiwanese firm that later went bankrupt. She then did odd jobs for a while before getting a job at a travel agency.
Chen eventually went on to found four highly successful companies involved in a myriad of different commercial activities. Chen became involved in politics in 1994 through her activities with the Chinese community in South Africa. Due to business commitments she did not run for office until she successfully ran for a seat on the Johannesburg city council, taking her seat in 2000. In 2004 she was elected to as a member of Parliament. In September 2010 Chen resigned from her position in government to focus more on her business interests and social welfare work.
- Award - Randburg Business Person of the Year
- Award - Gauteng Business Person of the Year
- Award - Outstanding Achievement for Overseas Chinese Person
- Award - Top 19 Global Chinese Business Woman
- "Who's Who: Sherry Chen". Who's Who South Africa. Retrieved 14 October 2010.
- "积极参政服务华社记活跃于南非政坛的华人议员". news.xinhuanet.com (in Simplified Chinese) (Beijing, China: Xinhua). October 31, 2006. Retrieved October 14, 2010.
- "DA: Statement by Athol Trollip, Democratic Alliance Parliamentary leader, on new appointments and potfolios in the DA shadow cabinet". Polity. September 6, 2010. Retrieved June 10, 2012.
- "南非国会的首位华人陈阡蕙：破茧而出的中国蝴" (in Simplified Chinese). CCTV. 2006-11-10. Retrieved 2010-10-14.
- "Sherry Chen: DA Member of the NCOP for Gauteng". Democratic Alliance. Retrieved 14 October 2010.
- "陳阡蕙－走出國會永遠心繫華人". 6 October 2010. Retrieved 14 October 2010.
|This South African business-related biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|