||The topic of this article may not meet Wikipedia's notability guideline for biographies. (April 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Shiv Visvanathan is an Indian public secular eminent intellectual and social scientist best known for his contributions to developing the field of Science and Technology Studies (STS), and for the concept of cognitive justice a term he coined. He is currently Professor at O P Jindal Global University, Sonepat. He was Professor, Dhirubhai Ambani Institute of Information and Communication Technology (DA-IICT), Gandhinagar, India and has held the position of Senior fellow Center for the Study of Developing Societies (CSDS) in Delhi He has also taught at the Delhi School of Economics. He has held visiting professorships at Smith College, Stanford, Goldsmiths, Arizona State University and Maastricht University. He is author of Organizing for Science (OUP, Delhi, 1985), A Carnival for Science (OUP, Delhi, 1997) and has co-edited Foulplay: Chronicles of Corruption (Banyan Books, Delhi, 1999). He has been consultant to the National Council of Churches and Business India.
As a public intellectual, he is a regular columnist to newspapers like The Hindu, The New Indian Express, Indian Express and The Deccan Chronicle and The Asian Age. He also contributes to popular magazines like Outlook, India Today, Governance Today and Tehelka. His popular writings touch topics as wide as science, cricket, anthropology, development, intellectual history, and walking. 
- 2012- Professor, School of Government and Public Policy, O P Jindal Global University
- 2004- Professor, DA-IICT
- 1994 - Senior Fellow, CSDS, 1994
- 1985 - Fellow, Centre for the Study of Developing Societies
- 1983-85 - Visiting Fellow, Ford Foundation Faculty Expansion Programme, Centre for the Study of Developing Societies
- 1982-85 - Committee for Cultural Choices and Global Futures, Delhi
- 1980-82 - ICSSR Young Scientist Fellow, Department of Sociology, Delhi University
- 1976-80 - Research Associate, Department of Sociology, Delhi School of Economics
His interests center on cultures of knowledge, Cognitive justice (a term he coined) popular culture, urban studies,the sociology of corruption, sociology and philosophy of science, history of technology, social movements, globalization, culture and the politics of environmentalism, disaster management and futures.
Membership /Other activities
- Lokayan Chairman, 1988–90
- IUMDA Newsletter Editor, 1990–93
- Lokayan Bulletin Member, Editorial Board, 1992–95
- Alternatives Member, Editorial Board, Delhi and Colorado, till 1997
- Sage Member, Advisory board, Studies in Science Technology and Society, Delhi till 2004
- Indian Institute of Advanced Study Member, Advisory Board, Studies in Humanities and Social Sciences, Simla, till 1994
- Center for Environmental Planning and Technology Member of Board of Management
Shiv is a regular columnist in all leading newspapers of India. His views generally tend to criticise the right wing politics.
- 1985 - Organizing for Science: The Making of an Industrial Research Laboratory 
- 1997 - A Carnival for Science: Essays on Science, Technology and Development
- 1999- Foul Play : Chronicles of Corruption in India
- Three speeches, three futures (2015), Published in "The Hindu"
- Best Paper Awards (International Conference on Demography, Culture, and Marketing (2010))
- ESSAYS ON SCIENCE AND SOCIETY: A Celebration of Difference: Science and Democracy in India (sciencemag.org)