Shyam Sunder Goenka
Shyam Sunder Goenka
|Born||15 October 1932|
|Died||21 October 2002|
Shyam Sunder Goenka born on 15 October 1932 in Kolkata in a Marwari family to parents Thakursi Das Goenka and Bhagwani Devi Goenka. He was an Indian entrepreneur, Founder and Executive Chairman of Tally Solutions, Bangalore, one of India’s first software product companies.
Early life and background
Shyam Sunder Goenka graduated in Commerce from West Bengal State University. During the late 60’s, he moved out of Calcutta, to set up his own textile machinery business called Vijay Bobbins and Industries Pvt. Ltd. in Bangalore.
In the 80’s, while running the textile machinery business, Shyam Sunder Goenka was looking for a software to manage his business but was unable to find one which was simple and efficient. This prompted him to inspire his son, Bharat Goenka, to pursue his passion for software and technology to create software that would handle financial accounts for his business. He emphasized to his son that software must be such that it makes the life of the users easier. His insights and guidance led to the creation of simple and easy to use software called Peutronics Financial Accountant (PFA).
He took the first version to the market to sell to hitherto unknown buyers, before taking advantage of his social network and business associates for adoption. The positive response that the software received in an age where buying computers was still an expensive affair for companies in India, led S.S. Goenka to believe in the product’s potential and market reach. In 1986, he along with his son established Peutronics as a company which later morphed into Tally Solutions Pvt. Ltd. in 1999 and the software, PFA became popular as Tally.
Headquartered in Bangalore, India, S.S Goenka with his strategic insight expanded the company to three metro cities in India- Mumbai, Delhi and Kolkata, along with an international office at London.
S.S Goenka’s vision, business ethos and acute entrepreneurship led to the early popularity of the product with more than lakh customers. He was also instrumental in laying the foundation for a strong channel partner network for Tally in India.
He died of a heart attack on 21 October 2002 in Bangalore at the age of 70.
- "Bharat Goenka(Tally Solutions) talks to us about the company's 'stubborn' decision to stay focussed on products | ProductNation - The industry watering hole for software product industry. An iSPIRT initiative". pn.ispirt.in. Retrieved 29 June 2016.
- Mishra, Bibhu Ranjan. "Tally tries to reach for the stars". Retrieved 29 June 2016.
- "Tally Solutions by S.S. Goenka and Bharat Goenka". www.indoscopy.com. Retrieved 29 June 2016.
- Yadav, Shailendra S. "ApniTally: Remembering a Visionary Philanthropist : Sh. Shyam Sunder Goenka". Retrieved 29 June 2016.
- "Tally hooks the books - Times of India". Retrieved 29 June 2016.
- "Tally tries to reach for the stars". Retrieved 4 July 2016.
- "SS Goenka Founder Tally Solutions Dies". www.ciol.com. Retrieved 29 June 2016.
|This Indian business-related biographical article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|