Sierra Vista High School (Nevada)
|Sierra Vista High School|
Sierra Vista, as viewed from the air
8100 West Robindale Road
Las Vegas, Nevada 89113
|Type||Public high school|
|Motto||"Perseverance Respect Involvement Determination Excellence - P.R.I.D.E" along with "Fortitude Attitude Integrity Respect - F.A.I.R"|
|School district||Clark County School District|
|Dean||Tamara Stuart |
Eric De Young
|Principal||Dr. John Anzalone|
|Staff||151, 65 support staff (2007)|
|Number of students||2,531 (2016-17)|
|Color(s)||Blue and gold|
|Athletics conference||Sunset 4A Region|
|Rival||Desert Oasis High School|
|Music Department||BOA Marching Band Regional Champions|
Sierra Vista High School is a nine-month school year term public high school located in Spring Valley, Nevada, United States. Sierra Vista is a part of the Clark County School District. The current principal is Dr. John Anzalone.
- Bob Garis (2001-2003)
- Emil Wozniak (2004-2007)
- Shawn P. Boyle (2008-2015)
- John Anzalone (2015 - )
Sierra Vista High School competes in the Sunset 4A Region.
- Fall sports: Boys & Girls Cross Country, Football, Girls Golf, Boys & Girls Soccer, Boys & Girls Tennis, and Girls Volleyball.
- Winter sports: Boys & Girls Basketball, Boys & Girls Bowling, Girls Flag Football, and Wrestling.
- Spring sports: Baseball, Boys Golf, Softball, Boys & Girls Swimming and Diving, Boys & Girls Track and Field, and Boys Volleyball.
Nevada Interscholastic Activities Association State Championships
- Baseball – 2016
- Volleyball – 2016
- Robotics - 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017
- Bowling - 2016
- Sierra Vista was approved in February 2016 to be the first public high school in CCSD history to receive solar panels and LED lights. They are currently undergoing construction.
- Sierra Vista's robotics team has gone to five world championships - three in the VEX Robotics Competition and two in FIRST Robotics Competition. They are currently the Nevada State Champions with their best robot going 11-0 at the Nevada State Championship. It greatest success was in the 2017 Competition Season, winning 19 awards.
There are two robotics platforms at Sierra Vista High School the VEX Robotics Competition and the FIRST Robotics Competition. In 2017, the FIRST Robotics Team competed at the FIRST Championship and were Division Finalist. The VEX Robotics Team won 19 awards in 2017, including the Tournament Champions of Nevada. The VEX Robotics also competed at the VEX Robotics World Championships in Louisville, Kentucky, where they won the Community Award.
World Championship Bids (VEX)
- 2019 (World Championships Bid)
- 2018 (Excellence Award Winner)
- 2017 (2 Robots Qualified) (Nevada Tournament Champions, Tournament Skills Champions )
- 2016 (Tournament Skills Champions.)
- 2014 (Excellence Award Winners)
World Championship Bids (FRC)
- 2015 (Rookie-All Star @ LV Regional)
The band program is led by Miss Melissa Bushee. During the marching season, Brooke Tomas is co-director. The bands offered are: Marching Band, Winter Percussion, Winterguard, Jazz Band, and Concert Band. The Concert Band was recently split into Advanced and Intermediate Bands to give "rookie" members (typically freshmen and some upperclassmen who recently have learned instruments) of the band a place to thrive with kids at their own age and skill level until they are comfortable enough to proceed with the audition process into Advanced Band.
The Sierra Vista Wind Ensemble has achieved multiple Superior ratings at various festivals in and around Clark County.
The Marching Band currently consists of roughly 115 members, including Drum Majors Amelia Prowant (senior) & Brianna Alconcel (junior) and Colorguard Captains Kaylis Williams (senior), Rachel Vallin (senior) and Kellie Sanborn (junior).
The Winter Drumline program began in 2015, and is led by Percussion Instructors Noah Ganon and Melvin Chicas. The Sierra Vista Winter Colorguard is led by Liana Ham with additional instruction by Brittany Ames and Taylur Haynie.
The Army Junior Reserve Officers' Training Corps is instructed by Senior Army Instructor CW4 (Ret) Loyd Crathers and Army Instructor CSM (Ret) Robert Brown. The program was initiated in the 2016-2017 school year and has a strength of approximately 200 cadets.
- Chris Carter: baseball player
- Sophia Omotola Omidiji: Professional Women's Soccer Player
- RiceGum: YouTuber, Rapper, and former Twitch Streamer
- Jake Hager: Baseball Player
- Nick Kingham: Baseball Player
- Tony Alamo Elementary School
- Mark L. Fine Elementary School
- Judith D. Steele Elementary School
- Wayne Tanaka Elementary School
- Robert L. Forbuss Elementary School
- William V. Wright Elementary School
- Kathy L. Batterman Elementary School
- Lawrence & Heidi Canarelli Middle School
- Wilbur & Theresa Faiss Middle School
- "Sierra Vista High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved December 12, 2018.
- "Robot Events 2018 Nevada State Championship".
- "Sierra Vista High band marches home with top prize".
|This Nevada school-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|