|Born: November 8, 1991|
|MLB: April 29, 2018, for the Pittsburgh Pirates|
|KBO: May 5, 2020, for the SK Wyverns|
|MLB statistics |
(through 2019 season)
|Earned run average||6.08|
|KBO statistics |
(through July 1, 2020)
|Earned run average||6.75|
Nicholas Gordon Kingham (born November 8, 1991) is an American professional baseball pitcher who is currently a free agent. He has played in Major League Baseball (MLB) for the Pittsburgh Pirates and the Toronto Blue Jays and in the Korea Baseball Organization for the SK Wyverns.
Kingham attended Sierra Vista High School in Las Vegas, Nevada. In 2010, his senior season, he was 8–3 with a 2.01 ERA in 13 games. After his senior year, he was drafted by the Pittsburgh Pirates in the fourth round of the 2010 Major League Baseball draft out of Sierra Vista High School in Las Vegas, Nevada. He signed with the Pirates for a signing bonus worth $480,000, forgoing his commitment to play college baseball at the University of Oregon. He made his professional debut in August 2010 with the Gulf Coast League Pirates. He spent the 2011 season with the State College Spikes and the 2012 season with the West Virginia Power.
Kingham started the 2013 season with the High-A Bradenton Marauders and was promoted to Double-A Altoona Curve during the season. He was voted to the 2013 Florida State League All-Star Game. He spent the 2014 season with Altoona and the Triple-A Indianapolis Indians. Kingham was added to the 40-man roster on November 20, 2014.
Prior to the 2015 season, Kingham was ranked as the 67th best prospect in baseball by Baseball Prospectus. Kingham underwent Tommy John surgery in May 2015. He would miss the rest of the 2015 season before returning to make rehab starts in July 2016. Kingham finished the 2016 season with 10 starts across the rookie, Class A and Class AA levels. In 2017, Kingham suffered an ankle injury during spring training which delayed his season debut until May.
Kingham began the 2018 season with Indianapolis. He was named International League Pitcher of the Week on April 16, 2018. Kingham made his major league debut on April 29, 2018, against the St. Louis Cardinals. During his debut, Kingham took a perfect game through 6 2/3 innings before allowing a single to Paul DeJong. Kingham went on to record his first career win as the Pirates won 5–0.
On April 30, 2018, Pirates manager Clint Hurdle announced that Kingham would remain in the Pirates rotation, with Steven Brault moving to the bullpen to make room. In 18 games (15 starts), he finished 5–7 with an ERA of 5.21 in 76 innings.
Kingham began 2019 in Pittsburgh's bullpen before moving to the starting rotation. He was moved back to the bullpen in May. He was designated for assignment on June 8 after going 1–1 with a 9.87 ERA in 34.2 innings.
Toronto Blue Jays
Kingham was traded to the Toronto Blue Jays on June 13 for cash considerations, activated on June 15, was designated for assignment on July 18 and outrighted to Triple-A Buffalo on July 21. He rejoined the Blue Jays on August 2. On August 25, Kingham was designated for assignment and released on August 26.
Nick's brother, Nolan, played college baseball for the Texas Longhorns, was taken in the 12th round of the 2018 MLB draft by the Atlanta Braves, currently plays in their organization and led the minor leagues in complete games in 2019 with four and shutouts with three.
- Cleary, Tom (April 29, 2018). "Nick Kingham: 5 Fast Facts You Need to Know".
- R.J. Rico, The Oregonian (June 8, 2010). "MLB Draft 2010: Oregon signee Nick Kingham picked by Pittsburgh Pirates". Blog.oregonlive.com. Retrieved December 14, 2013.
- Wilmoth, Charlie (17 August 2010). "Pirates Spend Tons Of Money On Draft After Signing Jameson Taillon, Stetson Allie". Bucs Dugout.
- "Nick Kingham Class of 2010 – Player Profile – Perfect Game USA". www.perfectgame.org.
- "Righty Kingham earns high praise, promotion to Altoona". Triblive.com. Retrieved December 14, 2013.
- Marauders, Bradenton. "Marauders' Hanson hits 3-run homer in FSL All-Star Game". bradenton.
- "Pirates designate Ike Davis for assignment". ESPN.com. Associated Press. November 20, 2014. Retrieved November 21, 2014.
- "2015 Prospects: Top 101 Prospects of 2015". www.baseballprospectus.com.
- "Nick Kingham Undergoes Tommy John Surgery". MLB Trade Rumors.
- Nellis, Eli (28 August 2016). "Q&A: Nick Kingham makes his way back from Tommy John surgery". Bucs Dugout.
- "Nick Kingham hopes to finish comeback from Tommy John surgery this summer with promotion". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
- Cavadi, Wayne (29 April 2018). "MLB Rookie Report: Nick Kingham, RHP, Pittsburgh Pirates". Minor League Ball.
- "Kingham Earns IL Pitcher of the Week Honors". MiLB.com.
- "Nick Kingham flirts with perfecto in debut, Pirates win 5–0 over Cardinals". MLB. Retrieved April 29, 2018.
- "Cardinals vs. Pirates Box Score – April 29, 2018". MLB.
- "Kingham moves into Pirates rotation after near-perfect debut". Retrieved 2018-04-30.
- "Pittsburgh Pirates Move Nick Kingham Back To The Bullpen". May 17, 2019.
- "Rookie Davis On Injured List, Nick Kingham Cut". www.rotoballer.com.
- John Perrotto (June 13, 2019). "Nick Kingham traded by Pirates to Blue Jays for Cash". Retrieved June 13, 2019.
- "Blue Jays' Nick Kingham: Assigned to Triple-A Buffalo". cbssports.com. July 21, 2019. Retrieved July 26, 2019.
- RotoWire Staff (August 2, 2019). "Blue Jays' Nick Kingham: Rejoins Blue Jays". Retrieved August 2, 2019.
- RotoWire Staff (November 27, 2019). "Nick Kingham: Heading to Korea". CBSSports.com. Retrieved November 27, 2019.
- "Videos". Pittsburgh Post-Gazette.
- "Nolan Kingham selected by Atlanta Braves in MLB Draft". Horns247.
- "2019 Register Pitching Leaders". Baseball-Reference.com. 1970-01-01. Retrieved 2019-11-09.