This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Simon David Moores is a British businessman and entrepreneur, specialized in the lithium ion battery industry. He is founder of Benchmark Mineral Intelligence, a minerals industry research firm and a price report agency for the lithium industry’s benchmark pricing as well as for cobalt, graphite, nickel and battery cells.
Moores began his career in 2006 at Industrial Minerals. He was named Assistant Editor and three years later he became Deputy Editor, where he worked with non-metallic mineral industries. During his time as Deputy Editor, he was responsible for creating the lithium industry’s first ever annual conference, and he also broke the news that China had blocked rare earth exports to Japan in 2010.
He has twice testified to the US Senate, in 2017 and 2019, where he was focused on the impact of critical mineral supply chains in the wake of the rise of energy storage and electric vehicles, and outlined the percentage of global capacity controlled by the US at each stage of the lithium ion battery supply chain, with the answer for most being zero.
Moores has given guest lectures at Oxford University and Stanford University, and introduced the battery and electric vehicle supply chain subject to the UK public at the Royal Institution of Great Britain.
- "Simon Moores". www.pdac.ca. Retrieved 2019-09-26.
- Moores, Simon (22 September 2010). "China bans Japan RE exports". indmin.com.
- Shirouzu, James T. Areddy, David Fickling And Norihiko (2010-09-23). "China Denies Halting Rare-Earth Exports to Japan". Wall Street Journal. ISSN 0099-9660. Retrieved 2019-09-15.
- Moores, Simon (24 September 2010). "Japan investigates China RE". indmin.com.
- "Price Premium Narrows Between Lithium Hydroxide and Carbonate | INN". Investing News Network. 2019-08-20. Retrieved 2019-09-25.
- gareth (2019-07-05). "Benchmark Minerals with some home truths on future lithium supplies". MiningIR. Retrieved 2019-09-26.
- "Full Committee Hearing to Examine Energy Storage Technologies - Hearings and Business Meetings - Hearings - U.S. Senate Committee on Energy and Natural Resources". www.energy.senate.gov. Retrieved 2019-09-26.
- "Full Committee Hearing on the Outlook for Energy and Minerals Markets in the 116th Congress - Hearings and Business Meetings - Hearings - U.S. Senate Committee on Energy and Natural Resources". www.energy.senate.gov. Retrieved 2019-09-26.
- "Written Testimony of Simon Moores, Managing Director, Benchmark Mineral Intelligence". energy.senate.gov.
- Cumming, John. "The Northern Miner Podcast – Miner Moment #19: America's worrying lack of a battery-minerals supply chain ft Benchmark's Moores". www.northernminer.com. Retrieved 2019-09-15.
- News, North of 60 Mining. "America is losing battery metals arms race". North of 60 Mining News. Retrieved 2019-09-15.
- "NDAA Provides Opportunity To Counter China's Strategic EV Ambitions". The Fuse. 2019-08-26. Retrieved 2019-09-26.
- "Energy Colloquia | Oxford Energy". www.energy.ox.ac.uk. Retrieved 2019-09-15.
- "Rare Metals Public Agenda - Securing Critical Resources in a New Green and Industrial Era" (PDF). fsi-live.s3.us-west-1.amazonaws.com.
- "The Royal Institution – 12 March 2019 – The Faraday Institution". Retrieved 2019-09-15.