Simone Warzel (born 1973) is a German mathematical physicist at the Technical University of Munich. Her research involves statistical mechanics and the many-body problem in quantum mechanics. She is a co-author of the book Random Operators: Disorder Effects on Quantum Spectra and Dynamics.
Education and career
Warzel was born on 2 February 1973 in Erlangen, where she grew up. She studed mathematics and physics at the University of Erlangen-Nuremberg, beginning in 1992, with a year at the University of Cambridge for Part III of the Mathematical Tripos. She earned her doctorate (Dr. rer. nat.) from the University of Erlangen-Nuremberg in 2001. Her dissertation, On Lifshits Tails in Magnetic Fields, was supervised by Hajo Leschke.
Her research interests involve statistical mechanics and the many-body problem in quantum mechanics. She is the author with Michael Aizenman of the book Random Operators: Disorder Effects on Quantum Spectra and Dynamics.
In 2009, the International Union of Pure and Applied Physics gave Warzel their Young Scientist Prize in Mathematical Physics. Warzel is a Sloan Research Fellow, and a former von Neumann Fellow at the Institute for Advanced Study.
She was the Emmy Noether Lecturer of the German Mathematical Society in 2011, a plenary speaker at the 2012 International Congress on Mathematical Physics, and a speaker in the mathematical physics section of the 2018 International Congress of Mathematicians in Brazil.
- "Prof. Dr. Simone Warzel", Chair for Analysis: Current Members, Technical University of Munich, retrieved 2018-10-13
- Stolz, Günter (2017), "Review of Random Operators", Bulletin of the American Mathematical Society, New Series, 54 (2): 347–353, doi:10.1090/bull/1565, MR 3686330
- Curriculum vitae, University of Erlangen-Nuremberg, retrieved 2018-10-13
- 2014-15 Princeton Global Scholar: Simone Warzel (PDF), Princeton University Council for International Teaching and Research, retrieved 2018-10-13
- Simone Warzel at the Mathematics Genealogy Project
- IUPAP Young Scientist Prize in Mathematical Physics, International Union of Pure and Applied Physics, retrieved 2018-10-13
- Preise und Auszeichnungen (in German), German Mathematical Society, retrieved 2018-11-05
- Three TUM Professors as speakers at the ICM 2018, Department of Mathematics, Technical University of Munich, 12 July 2018, retrieved 2018-10-13