|Founder||Matt Mickiewicz and Mark Harbottle|
|Products||Books, courses, websites|
SitePoint is a Melbourne, Australia-based website, and publisher of books, courses and articles for web developers. In January 2014, SitePoint.com had an Alexa ranking of 889, and a Quantcast rating of 14,934.
SitePoint was founded by Matt Mickiewicz and Mark Harbottle in 1999. The company had its origins in Webmaster-Resources.com, an internet forum Mickiewicz founded as a resource for beginner web developers.
Originally, the company's business model was based on selling advertising and sponsorship. Following the collapse of the Dot-com bubble in 2000, the company looked towards publishing as an alternative source of income. The company's first book, Build Your Own Database Driven Website Using PHP and MySQL, was published that November, based on a popular online tutorial. Originally made available using print on demand, the book went on to sell 20,000 copies. By 2004, the company had published six books, and began distribution through O'Reilly.
The SitePoint Marketplace, a spinoff from the site's existing forums, was launched in 2005 as a forum in which web designers and developers could outsource projects. In 2007, part of the marketplace was spun off as 99designs, an online marketplace for crowdsourced graphic design. In 2011, 99designs received its first outside investment in the form of $35 million in venture capital funding from Accel Partners.
Following the introduction of its own courses, the company launched Learnable in 2010 as a new online learning platform for web developers. Originally designed as a marketplace, it is now the primary outlet for SitePoint's online book and course products.
- "Sitepoint.com Site Info - Alexa". Retrieved 2010-08-25.
- "sitepoint.com - Quantast Audience Profile". Retrieved 2014-01-22.
- "SmartCompany interview with Mark Harbottle". Retrieved 2010-08-25.
- O’Toole, Jared (September 7, 2010). "Matt Mickiewicz on Creating Some of the Most Popular Websites in the World". Under 30 CEO. Retrieved 5 March 2014.
- Falconer, Joel (April 17, 2011). "How SitePoint succeeded selling online content – when News Corp couldn't". The Next Web. Retrieved 13 March 2014.
- Yank, Kevin (November 27, 2001). "Build your own Database Driven Website using PHP & MySQL". Zend. Retrieved 5 March 2014.
- "O'Reilly to Distribute SitePoint Web Development Books". Retrieved 5 March 2014.
- Dubois, Louis (June 27, 2011). "Matt Mickiewicz, Co-founder of 99designs". Inc. Retrieved 5 March 2014.
- Lacy, Sarah (April 28, 2011). "Accel Invests $35M. in 99designs...After Years of Trying". TechCrunch. Retrieved 5 March 2014.
- Moulton, Luke (June 23, 2010). "Flippa.com: A Year in the Life of a Start-Up". Flippa Blog. Retrieved 5 March 2014.
- BHATTARAI, ABHA (July 29, 2008). "Find an Undervalued Asset. Fix It Up. Flip It. (Now It's Web Sites, Not Houses)". New York Times. Retrieved 2009-01-31.
- Norman, Jan (August 9, 2008). "O.C. teen sells Zune Web site for $62,000". OC Register. Retrieved 2009-01-31.
- Tilley, Shayne (October 28, 2010). "Want To Teach Your Own Course? We're Here To Help ..." SitePoint. Retrieved 5 March 2014.
- Kessler, Sarah (March 15, 2011). "Get Paid to Teach Anything With New Online Education Platform". Mashable. Retrieved 5 March 2014.