16 Candles (song)
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
(Redirected from Sixteen Candles (song))
|Single by The Crests|
|Songwriter(s)||Luther Dixon and Allyson R. Khent|
- "16 Candles"
- "Beside You"
Single originally released in 1958 on Coed Records # 506
- The song peaked at number two on the Billboard Hot 100 charts and number four on the R&B charts in 1959.
- Stray Cats recorded a cover of this song for the Sixteen Candles (1984) movie soundtrack.
- The soul group The Passions recorded a cover of this song in 1963 (Diamond Records # 146), and the Jackson 5 released the song on their 4th album.
- The song was used as a counter-melody to Jamie Horton's "They're Playing Our Song", which reached #115 in the US publication Music Vendor, November 1961.
- A cover by Jerry Lee Lewis peaked at number 61 on the Billboard Hot Country Singles chart in 1986.
In popular culture
- The song was used in the original 1972 release of John Waters' film Pink Flamingos, but was edited out of the 25th Anniversary Edition re-release in 1997 because the rights could not be obtained, and it was therefore also not included on the CD soundtrack which was issued at the same time.
- The original recording by The Crests features in the film American Graffiti (1973).
- The 1984 John Hughes teen movie, Sixteen Candles, took its title from this song. The cover by The Stray Cats appeared in the film.
- The sitcom Full House has an episode of season 3, entitled "13 Candles"