Maybe Tomorrow (The Jackson 5 album)
|Studio album by The Jackson 5|
|Released||April 12, 1971|
|Genre||Bubblegum pop, soul|
|Producer||The Corporation & Hal Davis|
|The Jackson 5 chronology|
|Singles from Maybe Tomorrow|
Maybe Tomorrow was the fifth studio album by The Jackson 5 released in 1971. Released after the success of the hit ballad "I'll Be There", most of the tracks on the album are ballads, with few dance numbers. Maybe Tomorrow includes the hit singles "Never Can Say Goodbye" and "Maybe Tomorrow". While not as financially successful as the Jackson 5's first three outings, selling over 3.5 million copies worldwide, Maybe Tomorrow contains some of the most often-sampled and covered material in the group's catalogue. It spent six weeks at #1 on the Soul albums chart.
- "Maybe Tomorrow" (The Corporation) – 4:41
- "She's Good" (The Corporation) – 2:59
- "Never Can Say Goodbye" (Clifton Davis) – 2:57
- "The Wall" (Mel Larson, Jerry Marcellino, Pam Sawyer) – 3:03
- "Petals" (The Corporation) – 2:34
- "16 Candles" (Luther Dixon, Allyson R. Khentt) – 2:45
- "(We've Got) Blue Skies" (Thomas Bee, Chris Clark, Fuller Gordy, Patrick Stephenson, Deloris Wilkinson) – 3:21
- "My Little Baby" (The Corporation) – 2:58
- "It's Great to Be Here" (The Corporation) – 2:59
- "Honey Chile" (originally performed by Martha Reeves & the Vandellas) (Richard Morris, Sylvia Moy) – 2:45
- "I Will Find a Way" (The Corporation) – 2:57
In 2001, Motown Records remastered all Jackson 5 albums in a "Two Classic Albums/One CD" series (much like they did in the late 1980s). This album was paired up with Third Album. The bonus tracks were "Sugar Daddy", the only new track on their 1971 greatest hits set, and "I'm So Happy", the B-side of that single.
- Rapper Ghostface Killah sampled "Maybe Tomorrow" for his 1996 hit "All That I Got Is You".
- Rapper Jim Jones also sampled a part of "It's Great to Be Here" for his 2006 hit "We Fly High (Remix)" on Juelz Santana's verse.
- Rapper/music producer Puff Daddy sampled a part of "It's Great to Be Here" on Biggie Smalls's rap verse for his 1997 classic, "It's All About the Benjamins".
- Producer-rapper Jermaine Dupri sampled the bass from "It's Great to Be Here" on the remix "Honey (So So Def Remix)" of Mariah Carey's song.
- R&B singer Chris Brown sampled "It's Great to Be Here" for a song titled "So Glad" on his self-titled debut album Chris Brown.
- Female R&B trio 702 also sampled "It's Great to Be Here" on the song titled "All I Want" from their 1996 debut album titled No Doubt.
- Producers Best Kept Secret sampled "Never Can Say Goodbye" for rapper Rhymefest, featuring Talib Kweli off the mixtape Man in the Mirror.
- Wiz Khalifa sampled "It's Great to Be Here".
- Sleepy Brown sampled "Maybe Tomorrow" on his song "Me, My Baby, and My Cadillac".
- Allmusic review
- Rolling Stone review
- Chery, Carl: XXL: Michael Jackson Special Collecters Edition, page 99. American Press.
- SamplesDB - Jackson 5's Tracks