Skeletonwitch playing in Munich, 2014
|Origin||Athens, Ohio, United States|
|Past members||Eric Harris|
Skeletonwitch is an American extreme metal band from Athens, Ohio, formed in 2003. The band currently consists of bassist Evan Linger, lead guitarist Nate Garnette, rhythm guitarist Scott Hedrick, and vocalist Adam Clemans. Chance Garnette was fired from the band sometime in late 2014, or early 2015. In Early 2018, drummer Dustin Boltjes left the band; this was likely to pursue being the lead singer of Sacred Leather. Boltjes has also recently joined the Indianapolis based doom band Wretch as their drummer. Jon Rice is currently filling in as drummer for tour purposes.
Skeletonwitch was formed in 2003 in Athens, Ohio when guitarist Hedrick heard the demo tracks from Nate Garnette's former band, Serkesoron, while they were both college students at Ohio University. Skeletonwitch released their first album, At One with the Shadows, on August 11, 2004 with Shredded Records. After forming the band, they sought a vocalist, whom they ultimately found in Nate's older brother, Chance Garnette. These three have been the only constant members, having gone through three drummers: Tony Laureano, Derrick "Mullet Chad" Nau replacing Jimi Shestina, then Eric Harris with Evan Linger on bass guitar.
After being signed to Prosthetic, Skeletonwitch released Beyond the Permafrost on October 2, 2007. In 2008, Skeletonwitch was featured as one of four opening acts for Danzig's Blackest of the Black tour.
On October 13, 2009, Skeletonwitch released their third studio album, Breathing the Fire, which debuted at No. 151 on the Billboard 200 charts. Skeletonwitch's song "Soul Thrashing Black Sorcery" was featured on the soundtrack of the video game Brütal Legend. The song "Crushed Beyond Dust" became featured on the Rock Band network on February 28, 2010. Skeletonwitch was featured on all of the dates of Ozzfest 2010.
In March 2011, Skeletonwitch parted ways with drummer Derrick "Mullet Chad" Nau and temporarily replaced him with Tony Laureano. Skeletonwitch's fourth studio album, Forever Abomination, was released on October 7, 2011. It is the first album to feature Dustin Boltjes on drums, replacing Derrick Nau. Skeletonwitch was banned from playing the House of Blues in Orlando after they were deemed "unfit to be associated with Disney."  The band released its fifth studio album Serpents Unleashed in October 2013.
Vocalist Chance Garnette withdrew from live appearances partway through a tour in October 2014. Days later he appeared in Worcester District Court in Worcester, Massachusetts, and was "charged with assault and battery on a family/household member", and the case was continued to December 10, 2014. Garnette was released on $500 bail. He was replaced on a European tour the following March by former Cannabis Corpse vocalist Andy Horn, and it was later confirmed that Garnette stated that he had been fired from the band due to alcohol abuse, for which he sought treatment. His permanent replacement was confirmed in February 2016 as Adam Clemans, frontman of blackened sludge metal band Wolvhammer and former vocalist of Veil of Maya.
On April 26, 2018, the band announced Devouring Radiant Light as the title of their new album being released on July 20, 2018.
Current live musicians
Former live musicians
- WIEDERHORN, JON. "SKELETONWITCH: HOW AN ANTON LAVEY–LOVING EX–CHOIR MEMBER PUSHED THRASHERS TO NEW LEVEL". Revolver. Retrieved July 25, 2018.
- Wallen, Doug. "Skeletonwitch Thrash Across Metal's (Many) Subtle Sub-genres [sic]". OC Weekly. Retrieved May 23, 2012.
- "Music - Metal Swim". Adultswim.com. Retrieved April 5, 2015.
- "Skeletonwitch Parts Ways With Drummer". Roadrunnerrecords.com. March 21, 2011. Archived from the original on February 1, 2013. Retrieved April 5, 2015.
- "Skeletonwitch Reveals Third Vinyl Details - in Metal News". Metalunderground.com. Retrieved April 5, 2015.
- "SKELETONWITCH Is The Latest Victim Of Disney Banhammer". Metalinjection.net. Retrieved April 5, 2015.
- "Skeletonwitch - Serpents Unleashed - Encyclopaedia Metallum". Metal-archives.com. Retrieved April 5, 2015.
- "Skeletonwitch' Chance Garnette Leaves Current Tour". Loudwire.com. October 22, 2014. Retrieved April 5, 2015.
- "COURTRECORDS - Worcester Telegram & Gazette". Telegram.com. Retrieved April 5, 2015.
- "Exclusive – Former SKELETONWITCH Frontman Chance Garnette: "I Have A Drinking Problem"". Metalinjection.net. Retrieved April 5, 2015.
- "And the New Vocalist for Skeletonwitch is…". Metalsucks.net. Retrieved March 17, 2015.
- "SKELETONWITCH To Release 'Devouring Radiant Light' Album In July". Blabbermouth.net. April 26, 2018. Retrieved April 26, 2018.