|This article needs additional citations for verification. (October 2008) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)|
Skeletonwitch playing in Munich, 2014
|Origin||Athens, Ohio, United States|
|Genres||Thrash metal, melodic death metal, black metal|
Skeletonwitch is an American extreme metal band from Athens, Ohio, formed in 2003. The band currently consists of drummer Dustin Boltjes, bassist Evan Linger, and guitarists Nate Garnette and Scott Hedrick and vocalist Adam Clemans.
Skeletonwitch was formed in 2003 in Athens, Ohio when guitarist Hedrick heard the demo tracks from Nate Garnette's former band, Serkesoron, while they were both college students at Ohio University. Skeletonwitch released their first album, At One with the Shadows, on August 11, 2004 with Shredded Records. After forming the band, they sought a vocalist, whom they ultimately found in Nate's older brother, Chance Garnette. These three have been the only constant members, having gone through three drummers: Tony Laureano, Derrick "Mullet Chad" Nau replacing Jimi Shestina, then Eric Harris with Evan Linger on bass guitar.
After being signed to Prosthetic, Skeletonwitch released Beyond the Permafrost on October 2, 2007. In 2008, Skeletonwitch was featured as one of four opening acts for Danzig's Blackest of the Black tour.
On October 13, 2009, Skeletonwitch released their third studio album, Breathing the Fire, which debuted at No. 151 on the Billboard 200 charts. Skeletonwitch's song "Soul Thrashing Black Sorcery" was featured on the soundtrack of the video game Brütal Legend. The song "Crushed Beyond Dust" became featured on the Rock Band network on February 28, 2010. Skeletonwitch was featured on all of the dates of Ozzfest 2010.
In March 2011, Skeletonwitch parted ways with drummer Derrick "Mullet Chad" Nau and temporarily replaced him with Tony Laureano. Skeletonwitch's fourth studio album, Forever Abomination, was released on October 7, 2011. It is the first album to feature Dustin Boltjes on drums, replacing Derrick Nau.
Skeletonwitch was banned from playing the House of Blues in Orlando after they were deemed "unfit to be associated with Disney."  The January 27th 2014 show was the only date on the Deceiver of the Gods tour with Amon Amarth and Enslaved that Skeletonwitch did not open. The Florida-based band Hollow Leg opened instead.
On October 22, 2014, it was announced that vocalist Garnette would be leaving their current tour due to "family issues". Garnette's last show with Skeletonwitch was October 15, 2014, at the Webster Theater in Hartford, CT. On October 20, 2014, Garnette appeared in Worcester District Court in Worcester, Massachusetts. Garnette was "charged with assault and battery on a family/household member", and the case was continued to December 10, 2014. Garnette was released on $500 bail.
On March 31, 2015, Skeletonwitch announced via their official Facebook page that former Cannabis Corpse vocalist Andy Horn would be replacing Garnette for their upcoming European tour. As of the announcement, Chance Garnette was no longer listed as Skeletonwitch's vocalist on their Official Facebook page. In an interview published on April 3, 2015, Chance stated that he had been fired from the band due to alcohol abuse, for which he is currently being treated.
- Wallen, Doug. "Skeletonwitch Thrash Across Metal's (Many) Subtle Sub-genres [sic]". OC Weekly. Retrieved 23 May 2012.
- "Music - Metal Swim". Adultswim.com. Retrieved 2015-04-05.
- "Skeletonwitch Parts Ways With Drummer". Roadrunnerrecords.com. 2011-03-21. Retrieved 2015-04-05.
- "Skeletonwitch Reveals Third Vinyl Details - in Metal News". Metalunderground.com. Retrieved 2015-04-05.
- "SKELETONWITCH Is The Latest Victim Of Disney Banhammer". Metalinjection.net. Retrieved 2015-04-05.
- "Skeletonwitch - Serpents Unleashed - Encyclopaedia Metallum". Metal-archives.com. Retrieved 2015-04-05.
- "Skeletonwitch' Chance Garnette Leaves Current Tour". Loudwire.com. 2014-10-22. Retrieved 2015-04-05.
- "COURTRECORDS - Worcester Telegram & Gazette". Telegram.com. Retrieved 2015-04-05.
- "Skeletonwitch - Mobile Uploads". Facebook.com. Retrieved 2015-04-05.
- "Exclusive – Former SKELETONWITCH Frontman Chance Garnette: "I Have A Drinking Problem"". Metalinjection.net. Retrieved 2015-04-05.
- "And the New Vocalist for Skeletonwitch is…". Metalsucks.net. Retrieved 2015-03-17.