Slovak presidential election, 2009
|This article is part of a series on the
politics and government of
The 2009 Slovak presidential elections were held on 21 March and 4 April. It was third peoples' presidential vote in the era of independent Slovak republic. Ivan Gašparovič became the first Slovak president to be reelected overcoming opposition candidate Iveta Radičová in second round with 55.53% to 44.47%.
There were seven candidates for the first round, which was held on 21 March:
- Ivan Gašparovič: incumbent president, supported by governing parties Direction – Social Democracy and Slovak National Party, and extra-parliamentary Movement for Democracy
- Iveta Radičová: candidate of the Slovak Democratic and Christian Union – Democratic Party, supported by the Party of the Hungarian Coalition, Christian Democratic Movement and Civic Conservative Party
- František Mikloško: candidate of the Conservative Democrats of Slovakia
- Zuzana Martináková: candidate of the Free Forum
- Milan Melník: independent candidate supported by the governing People's Party – Movement for a Democratic Slovakia
- Milan Sidor: independent candidate supported by the Communist Party of Slovakia
- Dagmara Bollová: independent candidate, former member of the Communist Party of Slovakia
Gašparovič and Radičová advanced to the second round, winning 47% and 38% of the first round votes, respectively. The other five candidates all received less than 6% of the vote. The turnout for the first round was 43.6%.
The second round of elections was held on 4 April, and the Central Election Commission announced results the following day. Gašparovič, receiving 1,234,787 votes, won the election with 55.5% of the vote. After the election, Gašparovič said, "I am glad I can be standing here today with the prime minister and the speaker of the parliament ... The [election] is the most direct evidence that people trust us." Turnout for the second round was 51.7%.
|Candidates and nominating parties||1st round||2nd round|
|Ivan Gašparovič (Smer, SNS, HZD)||876,061||46.71||1,234,787||55.53|
|Iveta Radičová (SDKÚ–DS, SMK, KDH, OKS)||713,735||38.05||988,808||44.47|
|František Mikloško (KDS)||101,573||5.42||—||—|
|Zuzana Martináková (SF)||96,035||5.12||—||—|
|Milan Melník (HZDS)||45,985||2.45||—||—|
|Milan Sidor (KSS)||20,862||1.11||—||—|
|Total (turnout 43.63% / 51.67%)||1,875,629||100.00||2,223,595||100.00|
|Sources: statistics.sk, volbysr.sk|
- "Slovakia president wins re-election". AFP. 2009-04-05. Retrieved 2009-04-05.
- Sedik, Peter (2009-03-23). "Incumbent President Wins First Round of Slovak Elections". Epoch Times. Retrieved 2009-04-05.
- "Slovak president wins re-election in a boost for PM". Reuters. 2009-04-05. Retrieved 2009-04-05.
- NSD: European Election Database - Slovakia publishes regional level election data; allows for comparisons of election results, 1990-2010