A smart doorbell is an internet-connected doorbell that notifies the smartphone or other electronic device of the home owner when a guest arrives to the entrance of the door. It activates when the guest presses the button of the doorbell, or alternatively, when the doorbell senses a guest with its built-in motion sensors. The smart door bell allows the home owner using the smartphone app to watch and talk with the guest by using the doorbell's built-in high-definition infrared camera and microphone. Some smart doorbells also allow the user to open to door to the guest remotely using a smart lock.
One of the earliest smart doorbells that entered to the market is the Ring Video Doorbell which was created by entrepreneur James Siminoff in 2012. Since then, several smart doorbells have been introduced to the market, some of them with additional, unique features.
Alarming concerns regarding the security of the smart doorbells have been raised. Researchers at Pen Test Partners in the UK have analyzed the Ring smart doorbell and concluded that it's possible for an attacker to gain access to the homeowner’s wireless network by unscrewing the Ring, pressing the setup button and accessing the configuration URL. In another security issue that had been observed, a mix-up of two databases allowed some users of the Ring smart doorbell to view live footage from complete strangers' front porches.
- "Best Peephole Cameras and Buying Guide". canitec.org. 2017-01-17.
- "What Is A Smart Doorbell, And Which Should You Buy?". Makeuseof.com. 2015-06-10. Retrieved 2016-12-08.
- "8 Best Smart Doorbells for Your Home". SafeWise.com. Retrieved 2016-12-08.
- Shu, Les (2013-11-18). "Smartbell is a smartphone-based doorbell solution for your home". Digital Trends. Retrieved 2016-12-08.
- "Ding Is a Smart Doorbell—But Not Too Smart for Its Own Good". Wired.com. 2016-10-12. Retrieved 2016-12-08.
- "Your smart doorbell may let in unwanted visitors". Betanews.com. Retrieved 2016-12-08.
- ""Smart" doorbell bug exposes video footage from strangers' homes". Grahamcluley.com. 2016-05-17. Retrieved 2016-12-08.