A smart doorbell is an internet-connected doorbell that notifies the smartphone or other electronic device of the home owner when a visitor arrives at the door. It activates when the visitor presses the button of the doorbell, or alternatively, when the doorbell senses a visitor with its built-in motion sensors. The smart doorbell lets the home owner use a smartphone app to watch and talk with the visitor by using the doorbell's built-in high-definition infrared camera and microphone. They can be either battery operated or wired.  Some smart doorbells also allow the user to open the door remotely using a smart lock.
One of the earliest smart doorbells that entered to the market is the Ring Video Doorbell which was created by entrepreneur Jamie Siminoff in 2013. Since then, several smart doorbells have been introduced to the market, another major one is Nest Hello, some of them with additional, unique features.
Alarming concerns regarding the security of the smart doorbells have been raised. Researchers at Pen Test Partners in the UK have analyzed the Ring smart doorbell and concluded that it's possible for an attacker to gain access to the homeowner's wireless network by unscrewing the Ring, pressing the setup button and accessing the configuration URL. In another security issue that had been observed, a mix-up of two databases allowed some users of the Ring smart doorbell to view live footage from complete strangers' front porches.
- "Best Peephole Cameras and Buying Guide". canitec.org. 2017-01-17.
- "What Is A Smart Doorbell, And Which Should You Buy?". Makeuseof.com. 2015-06-10. Retrieved 2016-12-08. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "8 Best Smart Doorbells for Your Home". SafeWise.com. Retrieved 2016-12-08. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- Shu, Les (2013-11-18). "Smartbell is a smartphone-based doorbell solution for your home". Digital Trends. Retrieved 2016-12-08. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "Ding Is a Smart Doorbell—But Not Too Smart for Its Own Good". Wired.com. 2016-10-12. Retrieved 2016-12-08. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- "The Best Video Doorbells for 2019". pcmag.com.
- "Your smart doorbell may let in unwanted visitors". Betanews.com. Retrieved 2016-12-08. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)
- ""Smart" doorbell bug exposes video footage from strangers' homes". Grahamcluley.com. 2016-05-17. Retrieved 2016-12-08. CS1 maint: discouraged parameter (link)