This article needs additional citations for verification. (May 2007) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Split from||People's Union|
national secretariat |
Woeringenstraat 21 Brussels
|Political position||Centre to centre-left|
|European affiliation||European Free Alliance|
|European Parliament group||None|
Sociaal-Liberale Partij ( listen; SLP; Dutch for Social Liberal Party) was a Belgian Flemish political party formed after dissolution of the moderate nationalist People's Union (Volksunie) party. Prior to 19 April 2008 it was known as Spirit, and intermediately as Flemish Progressives (VlaamsProgressieven). The party merged with Groen in the end of 2009, ceasing to exist.
The People's Union separated into two parties, the social liberal Spirit and the centre-right New-Flemish Alliance (N-VA), which formed a cartel with the Christian Democratic and Flemish (CD&V) party. The formation of the cartels was seen as a way in which Spirit and N-VA could guarantee their influence and position in Flemish and Belgian politics. The forming of the cartel led the liberal wing of the party to join the Flemish Liberals and Democrats (VLD).
Spirit was the abbreviation for
- Sociaal (Social)
- Progressief (Progressive)
- Internationaal (International)
- Regionalistisch (Regional)
- Integraal-democratisch (Completely democratic)
- Toekomstgericht (Future oriented)
In the 10 June 2007 general elections, the Social Liberal party was in a cartel (electoral alliance) with Socialist Party Different (sp.a) and won 14 out of 88 Flemish seats in the Chamber of Representatives and 4 out of 40 Flemish seats in the Senate.
End of the cartel
In the autumn of 2008, following a scandal causing its leader, Bettina Geysen to step down, the Social Liberal Party ended its cooperation with SP.A. Geert Lambert was elected the new leader. Many prominent party members, including cofounder Bert Anciaux, left the party.
- L² - The youth organization of Vl.Pro
- "European Free Alliance". E-f-a.org. Archived from the original on 2012-02-08. Retrieved 2012-11-25.
- Auteur: loa, sdg (2009-12-19). "SLP fuseert met Groen! - De Standaard". Standaard.be. Retrieved 2012-11-25.
- [dead link]
- "Ook Bert Anciaux stapt uit VlaamsProgressieven". deredactie.be. 4 December 2008. Archived from the original on 2008-12-06.
|This Belgium-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|