|Occupation||Filmmaker, artist, musician|
|Known for||Blood of the Tribades, TEN, Clickbait, Magnetic|
Cacciola is known for her sociopolitical genre feature films that showcase women: TEN, Magnetic, Blood of the Tribades, and Clickbait Her films have received festival awards including Boston Underground Film Festival's "Best New England Film,", the Buffalo Dreams Fantastic Film Festival "Best Retro" award, and GenreBlast Film Festival "Best Score". Cacciola was the recipient of the 2018 GenreBlast Film Festival "Les Femmes Du Genre" wrestling belt award for her work in the community, directing, producing, and cinematography and the "Nuclear Pen" award for outstanding screenwriting achievements. She also received the Lois Weber award at the 2018 Buffalo Dreams Fantastic Film Festival.
Cacciola's filmmaking interests were summarized as, "I love horror because you can be very bold about inserting themes and sociopolitical commentary and still make an entertaining movie. The possibilities are unlimited. You can create a whole world and mythology. Horror fans are incredibly engaged and loyal, so it’s really possible to build an incredible community of like-minded people to work with and to champion the films.". Cacciola is currently in development talks with Epic Pictures Group for a witch-themed film, The Caul.
Cacciola often blends her film and music work, noting in an interview the book, Indie Science Fiction Cinema Today: Conversations with 21st Century Filmmakers: "I come from a rock'n'roll music background, where an independent DIY ethic is very ingrained, so I've always just charged in where I don't belong and done what I wanted."
Cacciola drums and sings for The Prisoner-themed "loud, arty, minimalist rock working in the realm of proto-punk/new wave/no wave" band, Do Not Forsake Me Oh My Darling, which won a best video award from TIME in 2011. The Boston Globe wrote: "the songs deal with troubled states of mind — fear, paranoia, claustrophobia — and the distinct feeling that, yes, they are out to get you. In other words, the harrowing music that marks “The New Number 2’’ is in keeping with the premise of The Prisoner: a former British secret agent held captive by unseen forces with an unknown agenda in a mysterious village."
Cacciola identifies as a feminist activist. In an article published by Quartz she addresses the problem that in today's film industry women can't rise when men overwhelmingly promote other men: "The only way I see any of this changing is to put multiple women at the top with firing power."
|2017||Grindsploitation 2: The Lost Reels||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|2017||Blood of the Tribades||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes||Yes|
|2013||Wake No More||No||No||Yes||Yes||No|
- "Genreblast Film Festival Artist Spotlight".
- "All Music".
- "Trainwreck'd Society".
- "SYFY: Sophia Cacciola Discusses Showcasing Women in Film via Sociopolitical Horror and Sci-Fi".
- "Film Thrills: TEN".
- "Exclusive comments/details: Erotic vampire movie BLOOD OF THE TRIBADES sees release".
- "BUFF 2016: Indie Vampire Film Blood of the Tribades Takes Flight as Best New England Film - Dread Central". www.dreadcentral.com.
- king-theme.com. "PAT SWINNEY KAUFMAN RECEIVES LOCAL SERVICE AWARD AND OTHER WINNERS FROM BUFFALO DREAMS 2016". www.filmbuffaloniagara.com.
- "GenreBlast Film Festival - 2016". GenreBlast Film Festival.
- "GenreBlast 2018 Awards".
- "Buffalo Dreams Fantastic Film Festival schedule announced". Bloody Flicks.
- "Sophia Cacciola: Actress, Director explores Career and Horror".
- "Announcing the Winners of the Epic Pictures/Dread Central/ScareLA Pitch Contest!".
- "Women of Rock Oral History Project Staff".
- "Sophia Cacciola; Actress, Director Explores Career and Horror - DecayMag". 13 October 2017.
- "Indie Science Fiction Cinema Today: Conversations with 21st Century Filmmakers".
- Indie Science Fiction Cinema Today: Conversations with 21st Century Filmmakers. ISBN 1476669333.
- "Do Not Forsake Me Oh My Darling talks about their new EP - The New Number 2".
- "Break-Out Star".
- "TIME Best of Everything 2011".
- "Happily, prisoners in their own world".
- "Local musicians cater to all ages with kindie rock".
- "Darling Pet Munkee's monster songs".
- "A rock fan's guide to books with the Michael J. Epstein Memorial Library".
- "Q21". MuseumsQuartier Wien.
- "MQ Journal". MuseumsQuartier Wien.
- "Harvey Weinstein: Hollywood's indie film industry is still waiting for—and in need of—a dose of #MeToo — Quartzy". quartzy.qz.com.
- "GenreBlast Film Festival - Sophia Cacciola". GenreBlast Film Festival.
- "Movie Review: Clickbait (2018) - horrorfuel.com". 24 July 2018.
- "10 Shorts to Stream this Women in Horror Month #WiHM9". 9 February 2018.
- "Exclusive World Premieres of Grindsploitation 2, La Isla Del Infierno & short film French Kitty - Horror Society". 2 February 2017.
- "BLOOD OF THE TRIBADES: Film Review - THE HORROR ENTERTAINMENT MAGAZINE". 24 September 2016.
- "Flicks4Chicks: "Sophia Cacciola: Weekend Vampire"".
- Yanick, Joe. "Izzy Lee puts a New Spin on Lovecraft with Short INNSMOUTH - Diabolique Magazine". diaboliquemagazine.com.
- Jenson, Kristofer. "The Death of DIY? - Scout Somerville". scoutsomerville.com.
- "TEN: An Interview with Michael J. Epstein and Sophia Cacciola - Film Thrills". 14 April 2014.
- "TIFF 2013: Fat one of three films to focus on obesity at the festival - The Star".