|Minister of Energy and Minerals|
12 December 2015
|Preceded by||George Simbachawene|
7 May 2012 – 24 January 2015
|Preceded by||William Ngeleja|
|Succeeded by||George Simbachawene|
|Member of Parliament
|Member of Parliament|
12 June 2012 – July 2015
|Appointed by||Jakaya Kikwete|
|Constituency||None (Nominated MP)|
25 June 1954 |
|Alma mater||UDSM (BSc (Hons))
University of Göttingen (MSc)
TU Berlin (Dr.rer.nat.)
|Committees||Chair, SPC1 of IYPE|
|Positions||President, GSAf (1995–2001)
Director, ICSU-Africa (2005–10)
|Awards||Robert Shackleton Award
Ordre des Palmes Académiques
|1Science Programme Committee|
He served as the Minister of Energy and Minerals from May 2012 until his resignation in January 2015 following the Tegeta escrow scandal. He was succeeded by his deputy George Simbachawene. He won the parliamentary constituency of Musoma Rural in the general election and was thereafter appointed to his former portfolio by President John Magufuli.
Life and career
He is a fellow of several highly learned professional societies including the Geological Society of London., the Geological Society of America, the Chinese Academy of Geological Sciences, and the Tanzania Academy of Sciences.
He also is the Vice-President for Commission of the Geological Map of the World (CGMW), 2005-to date.
He was the founder and first Executive Director of the International Council for Science (ICSU)- Africa Region. ICSU is a non-governmental organisation with a global membership of national scientific bodies (121 members) and international scientific unions (30 members).
Honours and awards
- 1977: Vice-Chancellor's Prize, University of Dar es Salaam
- 1979: Gondwana Prize, University of Dar es Salaam
- 2004: Robert Shackleton Award for Outstanding Precambrian Research in Africa – the flagship award of the Geological Society of Africa.
- 2006: National Award for Research in Science and Technology (NARST) by the Tanzania Commission for Science and Technology
- 2007: The Honours Award of the Geological Society of South Africa.
- 2011: Ordre des Palmes Académiques (Order of Academic Palms) at Officier (Officer) grade by the French Government
- University of Pretoria, Honorary Professor of Geology since 2006
- Honorary Research Fellow of the Chinese Academy of Geological Sciences (FCAGS)
Muhongo is the author or co-author of over 150 scientific articles and technical papers and has co-authored the publication of large-scale geological maps of Africa, East Africa and Tanzania.
List of selected publications
- Muhongo, S., Gudyanga, F.P., Enow, A.A. and Nyanganyura, D. (Editors), (2009). Science, Technology and Innovation for Socio-Economic Development: Success Stories from Africa, 175 pp, Pretoria, South Africa (ISBN 978 0 620 45741 5)
- Fritz, H., Tenczer, V., Hauzenberger, C., Wallbrecher, E. and Muhongo, S., (2009). Hot granulite nappes – tectonic styles and thermal evolution of Proterozoic Granulite Belt in East Africa. Tectonophysics 477, Issue 3–4, 160–173.
- Muhongo, S., (2009). Managing the Future of Planet Earth: The role of knowledge, science, technology and innovation. In: Future of Planet Earth, Seminar Proceedings, Foundation For the Future (FFF)/UNESCO publication, p. 147–153.
- P. Pinna, S. Muhongo, et al. (2004) Geology and Mineral Map of Tanzania. Scale: 1:2.000.000 . (BRGM-UDSM-GST team)
- Muhongo, S., Hauzenberger, C. and Sommer, H. (2003). Vestiges of the Mesoproterozoic events in the Neoproterozoic Mozambique Belt: the East African Perspective in the Rodinia puzzle. Gondwana Research Journal, Vol. 6, pp 409–416.
- Muhongo, S., Tuisku, P., S., Temu E., Appel, P. and Stendal, H. (2002). High-pressure granulite-facies metagabbros in the Ubendian Belt of SW Tanzania: preliminary petrography and P-T estimates. Journal of African Earth Sciences, Vol. 34, pp 279–285.
- Muhongo, S., Kröner, A. and Nemchin, A. A. (2001). Single Zircon Evaporation and SHRIMP ages for granulite facies rocks in the Mozambique belt of Tanzania. Journal of Geology, Vol. 109, pp 171–189.
- Muhongo, S., (1999). Anatomy of the Mozambique belt of eastern and southern Africa: evidence from Tanzania. Gondwana Research Journal, Vol. 2/3, pp 369–375.
- Muhongo, S., (1999). Geological Characteristics of the Suture between West and East Gondwana. Gondwana Research Journal, Vol. 2/4, pp 595–599.
- Muhongo, S., Tuisku, P. and Mtoni Y. (1999). Pan-African pressure temperature evolution of the Merelani area in the Mozambique belt in northeast Tanzania. Journal of African Earth Sciences, Vol. 29/2 pp 353–365.
- "Profile: Professor Sospeter Muhongo" (PDF). Geological Society of Africa. March 2007. Retrieved 6 February 2013.
- "Member of Parliament CV". Parliament of Tanzania. Archived from the original on 25 March 2015. Retrieved 6 February 2013.
- "Journal of African Earth Sciences Editorial Board". Journal of African Earth Sciences. Elsevier. Retrieved 30 June 2010.
- "Awards". Geological Society of Africa. Retrieved 6 February 2013.
- "Professor Muhongo awarded Ordre des Palmes Académiques by French Government" (PDF). University of Pretoria. 15 April 2011. Retrieved 6 February 2013.
- (ISBN 978 0 620 45741 5)