|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
Traditionally an agricultural village, the population has recently boomed due to housing development. South Milford is now generally considered a commuter village for nearby towns and cities because of the local motorway network, including the A1(M), M1 and M62. Still, South Milford maintains links with the local farming community. There is a large firework display and bonfire each November. The event has been running 25 years.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (February 2020)
The civil parish includes the hamlet of Lumby southwest of the main village.
Steeton Hall Gateway is a listed ancient monument and is protected by English Heritage. It is situated about 1.5 miles (2.4 km) west of South Milford. The gateway originally served a large hall, which was demolished and replaced by a house, which has since been converted into several dwellings. The gateway dates from the 15th century, and is one of four such structures which marked the corners of the estate. It has two arched passages, the large one in the centre to allow horsemen and carriages through and the smaller one to the left for footmen.
Steeton Hall Gateway has been described as a "fair and stately structure in the brave days of old".
- "Parish population 2011". Retrieved 15 August 2015.
- "History of South Milford, in Selby and West Riding | Map and description". www.visionofbritain.org.uk. Retrieved 25 November 2020.
- Bogg, Edmund (1904) Round About Leeds and the Olde Villages of Elmete, York: Edmund Sampson; reprinted by The Old Hall Press, Burton Salmon, 1991.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to South Milford.|
- South Milford Parish Council website
- South Milford website
- South Milford Cricket Club
- South Milford Women's Institute
- South Milford Village Bonfire
- "The Ancient Parish of South Milford". GENUKI. Retrieved 29 October 2007. South Milford was in this parish
- Page at English Heritage
|This Selby location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|