|North Bristol NHS Trust|
North end of Brunel Building
|Location||Southmead, Bristol, England|
|Hospital type||District General|
|Emergency department||Yes – Major Trauma Centre|
Southmead Hospital is a large public National Health Service hospital, situated in the Southmead ward in the northern suburbs of Bristol, England. It is part of the North Bristol NHS Trust. A new 800-bed hospital building called the Brunel Building opened in May 2014, to provide services (including Accident and Emergency) transferred from Frenchay Hospital following its closure. The hospital now covers 60 acres (24 ha).
The hospital opened in 1902 as a 64 bed workhouse for poor sick people. By 1911 there were 520 beds. During the First World War, the facilities were used as an army hospital. The facilities reverted to a workhouse in the early 1920s and were then greatly extended to accommodate all the sick. In 1924, the Southmead Infirmary was built and was later renamed Southmead Hospital. Notable former medical staff include Geoffrey Tovey, serologist and founder of the UK Transplant Service, which was formed in 1972 and was initially based at the hospital.
In 2005, a major expansion was planned which included moving most services from Frenchay Hospital to the Southmead site, with Frenchay being downgraded to a Community Hospital. Full approval for the project was given by the NHS South West board in January 2009. A new building, which was designed by the Building Design Partnership and built by Carillion at a cost of £430 million, was procured under a Private Finance Initiative contract in 2010. The scheme brought all departments and services together under one roof. Called the Brunel building, after Bristol engineer Isambard Kingdom Brunel, it would have 800 beds, 24 theatres, patient gardens, a public square, a helipad and visitors' multi-storey car park.
In early 2014, the second phase of the hospital redevelopment began with the demolition of the old main building to enable construction work to begin on a Brunel Building extension, together with enlarging the area in front of the hospital. The extension includes a new multi-storey car park for patients and visitors, a cycle centre with storage for 300 bikes, more shops, changing and shower facilities for staff and a community arts space.
Following the 2014 opening of the Brunel building, there was a shortage of parking spaces owing to high demands from visitors, patients, and staff. In 2014 and 2015, patients and visitors parked at the nearby Beaufort Way multi-storey car park. Improvements were made in 2016, including the construction of a 400-space multi-storey car park next to the Brunel building.
- Healthcare in Bristol
- Bristol Royal Infirmary
- Bristol Royal Hospital for Children
- List of hospitals in England
- "New hospital move". North Bristol NHS Trust. Retrieved 2 June 2013.
- "Southmead Hospital through the ages in never before seen online archives on new website". North Bristol NHS Trust. Retrieved 13 January 2013.
- "Photographic archive of Southmead". Bristol Past. Retrieved 13 January 2013.
- "Obituary: Geoffrey Tovey". The Telegraph. 20 December 2001. Retrieved 1 April 2018.
- "New hospitals for city approved". BBC. 16 January 2009. Retrieved 13 January 2013.
- "Bristol's 'super' hospital open for business". ITV News. Retrieved 19 August 2018.
- "Design". North Bristol NHS Trust. Retrieved 13 January 2013.
- "Frenchay-to-Southmead hospital move for A&E cases". BBC News – Bristol. 19 May 2014. Retrieved 21 November 2016.
- "Work starts on clearing Southmead Hospital site for next phase". North Bristol NHS Trust. 23 July 2014.
- "Southmead Hospital Redevelopment". North Bristol NHS Trust. Retrieved 16 April 2016.
- "This is what the new car park at Southmead Hospital looks like now – six months from completion". Bristol Post. 3 September 2016. Retrieved 16 April 2016.
- "Southmead Hospital one year on: the highs and lows". Bristol Post. 28 May 2015.
- "Parking woes at £430m Southmead Hospital". Gazette Series. 5 June 2014. Retrieved 6 October 2017.
- "Hospital staff stripped spaces to help patients". Bristol Post. Archived from the original on 14 December 2014.
- Pennock, Lewis (16 August 2016). "Will opening of Southmead car park end street parking misery?". Bristol Post. Retrieved 11 January 2017.
- "Bristol Archives online catalogue: Record view". Government of the United Kingdom. Retrieved 3 December 2016.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Southmead Hospital.|
- North Bristol NHS Trust – Official hospital website