Spartacus International Gay Guide
This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (February 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Language||English, German, Spanish, French, Italian|
|Subject||Gay travel guide|
|Publisher||Bruno Gmünder Verlag|
|1 March 2013|
The Spartacus International Gay Guide is an international gay travel guide, published originally by John D. Stamford, currently owned by GayGuide UG in Berlin, Germany.
The guide is arranged alphabetically by country and offers short texts in English, German, French, Spanish and Italian. Cities that are major gay travel destinations are described in greater depth. Each country section includes a summary of the current laws about homosexuality that are applicable to that country. The majority of the contents are listings for businesses that either specifically cater to gay tourists or that may be of interest to gay travellers, such as bars, hotels, gay saunas, beaches, support groups, and AIDS hotlines. Listings are arranged by city within each country. Recent editions of the guide have counted more than 1200 pages with information for approximately 22,000 businesses in 160 countries.
The criteria that determine which businesses are included in the listings differ from country to country. In countries or cities with a large number of businesses catering to gay customers, only businesses that are specifically gay – and possibly even only the most noteworthy amongst these – are included; in countries where such businesses are uncommon, those that cater to a general clientele but are "gay friendly" are also included.
Since Bruno Gmünder Media became insolvent in 2017, Spartacus is now owned by GayGuide UG. Instead of publishing the print version every year, GayGuide UG put the focus on massively improving the already existing app. It's now possible to respond to the needs of each holidaymaker individually. Bars, clubs, hotels, saunas, beaches and cruising spots are indicated on the city map via GPS, and photos and additional information on venues are available. The app now provides the traveler with the biggest gay event calendar worldwide – offering more than 20,000 gay events. Additionally, there is a pride calendar – featuring more than 800 pride dates all over the world. The sauna- & hotelguides are also featured in both the app and the website, furthermore the travel blog offers gay travelers an insight in gay live worldwide.
Next to the worldwide version with free selected content, there are four versions available in android and iOS: "Europe", "North America", "Latin America, Asia, Africa and Oceania" and "Worldwide".
- "Press release: Spartacus finds a new home | Spartacus Gay Travel Blog". Retrieved 26 March 2019.
- "Press release: New Spartacus App sees the light of day | Spartacus Gay Travel Blog". Retrieved 26 March 2019.
- "Product description" Bruno Gmünder Verlag GmbH, June 2013
- "Spartacus International Gay Guide" EDGE New York, April 2012
- Bedford, Briand (1 March 2012). Spartacus International Gay Guide, 2012/2013. Bruno Gmunder Verlag GmbH, 41st edition. p. 1300 pages. ISBN 978-3-86787-360-4.
- Gmunder, Bruno (1 March 2012). SPARTACUS International Hotel & Restaurant Guide 2012. Bruno Gmunder Verlag GmbH; Revised edition. p. 416 pages. ISBN 978-3-86787-361-1.
- Gmunder, Bruno (1 October 2007). Spartacus International Sauna Guide 2008. Bruno Gmunder Verlag GmbH; Revised edition. p. 320 pages. ISBN 3-86187-426-1.