Spartacus International Gay Guide
This article includes a list of references, but its sources remain unclear because it has insufficient inline citations. (February 2017) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Language||English, German, Spanish, French, Italian|
|Subject||Gay travel guide|
|Publisher||Bruno Gmünder Verlag|
|1 March 2013|
The guide is arranged alphabetically by country and offers short texts in English, German, French, Spanish and Italian. Cities that are major gay travel destinations are described in greater depth. Each country section includes a summary of the current laws about homosexuality that are applicable to that country. The majority of the book's contents are listings for businesses that either specifically cater to gay tourists or that may be of interest to gay travellers, such as bars, hotels, gay saunas, beaches, support groups, and AIDS hotlines. Listings are arranged by city within each country. Recent editions of the guide have counted more than 1200 pages with information for approximately 22,000 businesses in 160 countries.
The criteria that determine which businesses are included in the listings differ from country to country. In countries or cities with a large number of businesses catering to gay customers, only businesses that are specifically gay – and possibly even only the most noteworthy amongst these – are included; in countries where such businesses are uncommon, those that cater to a general clientele but are "gay friendly" are also included.
In January 2012, Bruno Gmünder Media released the Spartacus International Gay Guide App for iPhone in German and English. Bars, clubs, hotels, saunas, beaches and cruising spots are indicated on the city map via GPS, and photos and additional information on venues are available. The app also provides tips on current activities, events, and specials (such as happy hours in the bar around the corner, for example). There are four versions available on the Apple App Store (iOS): "Europe", "North America", "Latin America, Asia, Africa and Oceania" and "Worldwide".
- "Product description" Bruno Gmünder Verlag GmbH, June 2013
- "42nd Edition"[dead link] The German National Library, February 2013
- "Spartacus International Gay Guide" EDGE New York, April 2012
- "Die MÄRZ-AUSGABE ist da!" MANNER Magazine, February 2012
- "Spartacus International Gay Guide bald auch als iPhone-App" gayboy.at, March 2011
- "Elm guest house scandal: Coded advert that gave signal to perverts" Daily Mirror, 2 February 2013
- Bedford, Briand (1 March 2012). Spartacus International Gay Guide, 2012/2013. Bruno Gmunder Verlag GmbH, 41st edition. p. 1300 pages. ISBN 978-3-86787-360-4.
- Gmunder, Bruno (1 March 2012). SPARTACUS International Hotel & Restaurant Guide 2012. Bruno Gmunder Verlag GmbH; Revised edition. p. 416 pages. ISBN 978-3-86787-361-1.
- Gmunder, Bruno (1 October 2007). Spartacus International Sauna Guide 2008. Bruno Gmunder Verlag GmbH; Revised edition. p. 320 pages. ISBN 3-86187-426-1.