Special Representative of the Secretary-General
This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
A Special Representative of the Secretary-General is a highly respected expert who has been appointed by the Secretary-General of the United Nations to represent her/him in meetings with heads of state on critical human rights issues. The representatives can carry out country visits to investigate allegations of human rights violations or act as negotiators on behalf of the United Nations.
Current Special Representatives
Some of the Special Representatives include:
- Michael Keating, Special Representative for Somalia and Head of the United Nations Assistance Mission in Somalia (UNSOM).
- Louise Arbour, Special Representative for International Migration (from March 2017)
- Pramila Patten, Special Representative on Sexual Violence in Conflict http://www.un.org/sexualviolenceinconflict/
- Virginia Gamba, Special Representative for Children and Armed Conflict « https://childrenandarmedconflict.un.org/»
- Marta Santos Pais, Special Representative on Violence against Children
- Walter Kalin, Special Representative on the human rights of internally displaced persons
- John Ruggie, Special Representative on human rights and transnational corporations and other business enterprises
- Zahir Tanin, Special Representative of the Secretary-General and the head of the UN Interim Administration Mission in Kosovo (UNMIK)
- Ján Kubiš, Special Representative of the Secretary-General and head of the UN Mission for Iraq (UNAMI)
- Staffan de Mistura, Special Representative of the Secretary-General for Afghanistan and head of the United Nations Assistance Mission in Afghanistan (UNAMA)
- David Nabarro, Special Representative of the Secretary-General on Food Security and Nutrition, Coordinator of the High-Level Task Force on the Global Food Security Crisis (HLTF)
- Wolfgang Weisbrod-Weber, Special Representative of the Secretary-General for Western Sahara and head of the United Nations Mission for the Referendum in Western Sahara (MINURSO)
- Iqbal Singh Singha, Head of Mission and Force Commander of the United Nations Disengagement Observer Force in the Syrian Golan Heights
- Abdallah Wafy, currently the United Nations Secretary-General's Deputy Special Representative for the Democratic Republic of the Congo of the United Nations Organization Stabilization Mission in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (MONUSCO)
Former Special Representatives
Some of the former special representatives Include:
- Peter Sutherland, Special Representative for International Migration (during 2006-2017)
- Zainab Hawa Bangura for Special Representative on Sexual Violence in Conflict
- William L. Swing, for the Democratic Republic of the Congo, and Western Sahara
- Julian Harston, for Minurso, Western Sahara.
- Martti Ahtisaari, for Namibia
- Jan Pronk, for Sudan
- Sergio Viera de Mello, for East Timor, and Iraq.
- Sukehiro Hasegawa, for East Timor
- Jean Arnault, for Afghanistan
- Bernard Kouchner, for Kosovo
- Jacques Paul Klein, for Liberia
- Victor Angelo, for United Nations Mission in the Central African Republic and Chad
- Hina Jilani, for Human Rights Defenders
- Yash Ghai, for Human rights in Cambodia
- Mohamed Sahnoun, at the service of the United_Nations_Operation_in_Somalia_I.
- Ad Melkert, for Iraq
- Natalio C. Ecarma III, for the United Nations Disengagement Observer Force
- Juan E. Méndez, Special Advisor on the Prevention of Genocide
- Special Representative of the Secretary-General for East Timor
- Special Representative of the Secretary-General for Kosovo
- Special Representative of the Secretary-General for Western Sahara
- High Representative for Bosnia and Herzegovina
- Special Envoy of the Secretary-General
- "Secretary-General Appoints Michael Keating of United Kingdom Special Representative for Somalia | Meetings Coverage and Press Releases". www.un.org. Retrieved 2017-11-13.