(Lamarck, 1816) 
S. granularis is a large sea urchin, somewhat flattened dorsally and growing to fifteen centimetres in diameter. There are two distinct colour forms. The test is purple in both but one has purple spines and the other white. The spines are short and blunt, all the same length, and arranged neatly in rows.
Both sides of a dried specimen. - MHNT
Distribution and habitat
S. granularis is found in the Mediterranean Sea and the eastern Atlantic Ocean, from the Channel Islands south to Cape Verde and the Gulf of Guinea. It favours sheltered locations and lives on rocks covered with seaweed or gravelly substrates. It is usually found in the neritic zone down to about thirty metres but occasionally down to a hundred metres in more exposed locations. It is also found in meadows of the seagrass Posidonia oceanica.
S. granularis often covers itself with morsels of algae and shell fragments, which are held in place by the tube feet and by the claw-like structures known as pedicellaria. It grazes on algae, especially encrusting coralline algae, seagrass blades and their epiphytic organisms and detritus.
Spawning takes place at any time of year but the peak period is spring and early summer. Eggs and sperm are liberated into the water column, where fertilisation takes place. The larvae are planktonic. After several moults, the echinopluteus larva settles and undergoes metamorphosis before developing into a juvenile.
In Tunisia, S. granularis is found living in association with two other species of sea urchins, Centrostephanus longispinus and Paracentrotus lividus. It is preyed upon by the starfish Marthasterias glacialis and Luidia ciliaris.
Use as food
- Sphaerechinus granularis (Lamarck, 1816) World Register of Marine Species. Retrieved 2011-08-26.
- Sphaerechinus granularis (Lamarck, 1816) Picton, B.E. & Morrow, C.C., 2010. Encyclopedia of Marine Life of Britain and Ireland. Retrieved 2011-08-27.
- Verlaque, M., 1981. Preliminary data on some Posidonia feeders. Rapp. p.v. Ciesm Monaco, 2(27), pp.201–02.
- Sphaerechinus granularis European Marine Life. Retrieved 2011-08-27.
- Purple Sea Urchin (Sphaerechinus granularis) Archipelagos Wildlife Library. Retrieved 2011-08-27.
- "Sphærechinus granularis (Lamarck 1816)" (in French). Le Monde des Echinodermes. Retrieved 2011-08-27.
- Photos of Sphaerechinus granularis on Sealife Collection