Spielberg bei Knittelfeld
|• Mayor||Manfred Lenger (SPÖ)|
|• Total||29.69 km2 (11.46 sq mi)|
|Elevation||660 m (2,170 ft)|
|• Density||180/km2 (470/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+1 (CET)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC+2 (CEST)|
|Area code||03512, 03577|
The city of Spielberg, with a population of about 5,000 inhabitants, is located north of the Mur in the east of Aichfeld, between the cities of Zeltweg and Knittelfeld. The municipal area of Knittelfeld has grown together with a part of the township. From 1986 to 2009 Spielberg was a Marktgemeinde. On October 1, 2009 it became a “Stadtgemeinde”. Within the district you can find both municipal and countrified mintages.
The township is composed of 9 Katastralgemeinden. Pausendorf is the major Katastralgemeinde with 1500 inhabitants. The Katastralgemeinde Spielberg is only a small part of the township but gives the whole municipality its name.
The SPÖ has been the dominant position of the township since 1960, when the countrified township became a municipality. This was triggered when a number of industrial firms moved to the township, above all the Austria Antriebstechnik AG (ATB).
Spielberg is home to the Red Bull Ring (formerly known as A1-Ring and Österreichring). From 1970 until 1987 and from 1997 until 2003 the Grand Prix of Austria took place there. In 2014, it returned to the Formula 1 calendar.
- American film director and producer Steven Spielberg gets his last name from his descent from Hungarian Jews living in 17th-century Spielberg.
- "Dauersiedlungsraum der Gemeinden Politischen Bezirke und Bundesländer - Gebietsstand 1.1.2018". Statistics Austria. Retrieved 10 March 2019.
- "Einwohnerzahl 1.1.2018 nach Gemeinden mit Status, Gebietsstand 1.1.2018". Statistics Austria. Retrieved 9 March 2019.
- Official website
- ATB (Spielberg's most important employer)
- Regionalbus Aichfeld (public transportation in Spielberg)
|This Styria location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|