|Fate||Merged into Slacker|
|Defunct||April 26, 2013|
Spinner was a music and entertainment service, founded by Dave Samuel and Josh Felser in 1996. An AOL Music property, it was acquired by AOL on June 1, 1999, along with Nullsoft for $400 million. Based in San Francisco, California, the website was the first Internet music service and was the largest by 2001, while offering promotional features from high-profile recording artists. In 2002, AOL combined Spinner with the former's Netscape portal to form Netscape Radio. Spinner broadcast over 100 radio stations, including Radio CMJ.
In 2008, Spinner was revamped by AOL as a music website aimed at the "music aficionado". The website offers exclusive interviews of recording artists, streams of albums and live performances, and a free music download daily.
Spinner, along with all AOL music sites, was abruptly shut down in April 2013. The URLs to all former AOL music sites, including Spinner, were re-directed to aolradio.slacker.com starting in August 2013. Several AOL Music blogs, along with Comics Alliance, were sold to Townsquare Media in June 2013.
- Calhoun (2011), p. 102.
- Forbes (2009), p. 159.
- Alderman (2002), p. 97.
- Khosrowpour (2006), p. 104.
- Fries (2005), p. 110.
- Axford (2004), p. 214.
- "CMJ On Air". CMJ New Music Report. 79 (5): 29. March 15, 2004. Retrieved 2012-09-23.
- Brung, Anthony (May 24, 2008). "The Billboard Q&A". Billboard. 120 (21): 23. Retrieved 2012-09-23.
- "The Spinner Interview Posts". Spinner. Retrieved 2012-09-23.
- "Mp3 Of The Day Posts". Spinner. Retrieved 2012-09-23.
- "Townsquare Acquires Various AOL Music Sites, Comics Alliance". Billboard.biz. Retrieved 12 February 2014.
- Alderman, John (July 11, 2002). Sonic Boom: Napster, Mp3, And The New Pioneers Of Music. Basic Books. ISBN 0738207772.
- Axford, Elizabeth C. (July 1, 2004). Song Sheets to Software: A Guide to Print Music, Software, and Web Sites for Musicians. Scarecrow Press. ISBN 0810850273.
- Calhoun, Scott, ed. (December 16, 2011). Exploring U2: Is This Rock 'n' Roll?. Scarecrow Press. ISBN 0810881578.
- Forbes, William (October 19, 2009). Behavioural Finance. John Wiley & Sons. ISBN 0470028041.
- Fries, Bruce; Fries, Marty (April 26, 2005). Digital Audio Essentials. O'Reilly Media. ISBN 0596008562.
- Khosrowpour, Mehdi (April 3, 2006). Cases on Electronic Commerce Technologies and Applications. Idea Group Inc. ISBN 1599044021.
|This article about a music website is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This United States software corporation or company article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|