St Julians, Newport
St Julians shown within Newport
|Population||8,675 (2011 census)|
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|Postcode district||NP19 7|
|UK Parliament||Newport East|
The ward is bounded by the River Usk to the west and north, The Moorings, Badminton Road, Reynolds Close, Rembrandt Way, Constable Drive, Heather Road, Kelly Road, Merlin Crescent, Avalon Drive, across St Julian's Road and Norfolk Road to the east, Christchurch Road, Church Road, Clarence Place and Newport Bridge to the south. The ward includes the districts of Barnardtown, Riverside, and most of St. Julians (the rest being in Beechwood ward). The area is governed by the Newport City Council.
St Julians has two primary schools, namely Glan Usk Primary School (formerly Durham Road Infant School and Durham Road Junior School) and St Julians Primary School.
Glan Usk Primary School moved to new school premises in January 2010. The new school has been built on a hazardous waste landfill at the Glebelands in the western part of St Julians. The Glebelands site was operated as a landfill between the 1930s and 1960s such that the waste materials contributed to raising this low lying part of Newport by some three to four metres. The site received domestic, trade, and industrial wastes including unrecorded amounts of hazardous waste such as polychlorinated biphenyls, asbestos, mercury, and arsenic. The history of this site and concerns about public health and the wider environment resulted in much opposition and delay to construction of the new primary school. The new school also provides nursery school places, following the closure of Rockfield Nursery.
St Julian's School is the one comprehensive school in the ward.
All the roads in St Julian's estate are named after famous painters. St Julian's itself is named after Saint Julius of Caerleon, the Roman martyr. The Anglican parish church for St Julian's is dedicated to the martyred Saints of Julius and Aaron and sits mid-way along Heather Road and the Roman Catholic church on Beaufort Road is dedicated to St Julius. St Julian's Methodist Church is siuated at the junction of Caerleon Road with St Julian's Avenue; St Julian's Baptist Church is in Beaufort Road.
- "Newport ward 2011.Retrieved 5 April 2015".
- "Glan Usk Primary School Newsletter, 'Headlines' - 15 December 2009" (PDF). Glan Usk Primary School.
- "Planning Support – Enhanced Ground Contamination Risk Assessment and Remediation Strategy: Land at Glebelands, Newport – Application No. 00/0768, Reference: E3803/GO/PSS-RemStrat/JAN06/V2" (PDF). White Young Green Environmental.
- "Glan Usk meeting reports positive progress". Newport City Council.
- "Chepstow Friends of the Earth: Glebelands". Chepstow Friends of the Earth.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to St Julians, Newport.|
- St Julian Inn
- St Julians Primary School
- Newport City Council
- St Julians and Beechwood Community Website[dead link]
- St Julians Parish Church Website
- St Julians Baptist Church Website
- Gwent Local History article on St Julians Parish Church
|This Newport location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|