|Born||27 October 1878|
Studen Izvor, Principality of Bulgaria
|Died||27 October 1945 (aged 67)|
|Alma mater||University of Montpellier|
University of Geneva
|Known for||Lactobacillus bulgaricus, tuberculosis treatment|
Stamen Gigov Grigorov (Bulgarian: Стамен Гигов Григоров; 27 October 1878 – 27 October 1945) was a prominent Bulgarian physician and microbiologist. He discovered the Lactobacillus bulgaricus bacillus, used in the making of yogurt.
Stamen Grigorov was born in the village of Studen Izvor (lit. "Cold Spring"), Tran Municipality, Pernik Province, Bulgaria. He completed his secondary education in natural sciences in Montpellier, France and medical science in Geneva, Switzerland. In 1905, at the age of 27, Grigorov made the discovery for which he is best known. In the microbiological laboratory of Professor Léon Massol in Geneva, he discovered that a certain strain of bacillus is the basis of yogurt. In recognition the strain was called by the scientific community Lactobacillus bulgaricus.
In the 1950s, the state-owned yogurt company patented and promoted a specific blend of bacterial strains to create an "official Bulgarian yoghurt". This blend continues to be exported to yogurt producers in many countries.
Apart from the discovery of Lactobacillus bulgaricus, Grigorov contributed to the creation of a tuberculosis treatment in 1906, along with Albert Calmette. This used penicillin fungi for the treatment of tuberculosis. Through his scientific experiments in-vitro and in-vivo on lab animals and later on human patients, Grigorov demonstrated the healing effect of penicillin fungi in the treatment of tuberculosis.
- Grigoroff, Stamen, 1905. Étude sur une lait fermentée comestible. Le "Kissélo mléko" de Bulgarie. Revue Médicale de la Suisse Romande. Genève. Georg&G., Libraires-Éditeurs. Librairie de L'Université.
- Ramani, Madhvi (January 11, 2018). "The country that brought yoghurt to the world". bbc.com. Retrieved October 27, 2020.
- Katherine Harmon Courage, Cultured: How Ancient Foods Can Feed Our Microbiome, Penguin, 2019, ISBN 1101905298, p. 79.
- "Stamen Grigorov: Who was the microbiologist and what did he discover?". www.msn.com. Retrieved 2020-10-28.
- Crider, Barbara L (2022-03-22). "Stamen Grigorov - The Man Who Brought Us Yogurt". Vizaca. Retrieved 2022-05-02.
- Bradshaw, Kyle (2020-10-26). "Google Doodle celebrates Dr. Stamen Grigorov – and yogurt". 9to5Google. Retrieved 2020-10-27.
- Grigorova, Ûliâ; Dr Stamen Grigorov Foundation. (2005). В началото бе родовата памет... Десет години утвърждаване [In the Beginning Was the Family Memory... Ten Years of Confirmation] (in Bulgarian). Sofiâ: Universitetsko izdatelstvo "Sv. Kliment Ohridski" [University Publishing House "St. Kliment Ohridski"]. ISBN 954-90367-3-1. OCLC 191023744.