Punjab Region, India
|Alma mater||Peoples' Friendship University of Russia (MSc) |
Imperial College London (MEng, D.I.C)
|Occupation(s)||Chair and founder of forbes & manhattan, inc., an international private merchant bank|
Bharti was born and raised in the Punjab Region of India. He received a scholarship to study engineering at the Peoples' Friendship University in Moscow, Russia and then went on to do a Masters of Engineering at the University of London.
Bharti started his own consulting firm, BLM Inc., in 1988 to provide management and engineering services to the resource sector worldwide.
Bharti became the president of William Resources, a gold public company listed in Toronto. Acquisitions led the team to projects in Australia, South America, Mexico, and Scandinavia. These included Sweden's Bjorkdal gold mine and Brazil's Jacobina gold mine. Bharti and his team built the company up from a junior gold company to one that was, by 1997, producing more than 200,000 ounces of gold annually.
In 2002, Bharti established Forbes & Manhattan, Inc. to focus on the emergence of a new bull market in the resource sector. He purchased mines from floundering companies, developed them and sold them. Since 2002, Forbes & Manhattan has developed companies almost exclusively in the mining sector.
Forbes and Manhattan
The Toronto-based private merchant bank is an incubator for resource companies. They seek out high potential mining assets and take them from exploration and discovery to production. They have been successful with this formula for creating profits through acquiring large holdings in businesses, growing them through technical and management expertise and then selling them for significantly more than the purchase price.
Forbes & Manhattan's most successful project so far was in May 2011 when Consolidated Thompson Iron Mines, which began as a $1M dollar exploration iron ore company with assets in Quebec at the time of Forbes & Manhattan's first involvement, was developed and sold to Cliffs Natural Resources Inc. for $4.9 billion in cash.
Another successful project was Desert Sun Mining. In 2002 Bharti acquired a controlling position in Desert Sun Mining. He developed the Jacobina Mine to near production and then four years later sold the company for $735M to Yamana Gold.
Their most recent exit was the sale of Avion Gold Corp. to Endeavour Mining. Endeavour Mining purchased Avion Gold Corp on October 18, 2012, for US$389 million.
The main difference between Forbes & Manhattan and other merchant banks is they use technical expertise to develop their companies over long – 3–5-year time frames – rather than quickly flipping them.
The company retains approximately 100 professionals: geologists, lawyers, accountants, investment bankers, financial analysts, and mining analysts to support the companies under its umbrella. The five main specialty divisions are gold and base metals mining, energy, wealth management, agriculture, and ferrous metals.
In November 2011, Bharti donated $10M to Laurentian University. While working as a mining engineer in Sudbury, Bharti used to give lectures at the engineering school at Laurentian University. Bharti's donation was to be used for providing funds for field trips, faculty recruitments, and improvements to the school's buildings. In honour of his donation, the engineering school was renamed the Bharti School of Engineering.
In 2012, Bharti and Forbes & Manhattan contributed $40,000 to the Canadian Olympic 4x100-metre relay team during the Canadian Olympic Hall of Fame dinner and induction ceremonies
Bharti, through The Bharti Charitable Foundation, has also made numerous other smaller donations to a wide variety of causes.
- Stan Bharti P.Eng,M.Sc.,DIC,C.Eng[dead link] Bloomberg BusinessWeek. Retrieved September 2, 2012.
- Engineering school gets $10 million boost Sudbury Mining Solutions Journal, March 1, 2012. Retrieved September 13, 2016.
- ENTREPRENEURIAL UPSTART; BLM's Risto Laamanen The Northern Miner, June 1, 1990. Retrieved November 2, 2012.
- Stan Bharti: Hard Assets Heyday August 11, 2010. Retrieved September 7, 2016.
- Stockhouse Movers & Shakers: Why mine financier's strategy includes Larry King Stockhouse, March 22, 2012. Retrieved November 2, 2012.
- Stan Bharti explains Forbes & Manhattan's market success The Northern Miner, May 13, 2011.
- Consolidated Thompson shareholders approve takeover by Cliffs February 26, 2011. Retrieved December 5, 2011.
- Stan Bharti's Forbes & Manhattan Plans To Boost Its London Presence With Aim Listings For African And Far East-Focussed Companies December 13, 2012. Retrieved December 15, 2012.
- Yamana Gold Announces the Acquisition of Desert Sun Mining Yamana Gold Press Release, February 26, 2006. Retrieved November 26, 2012.
- Endeavour Mining closes acquisition of Avion Gold October 18, 2012. Retrieved December 16, 2012.
- Forbes & Manhattan Group of Companies The Gold Report. Retrieved November 27, 2012.
- Stan Bharti a Modern Founder and Leader of Successful Emerging Diversified Companies Metals News. Retrieved September 2, 2012.
- FT Iran Summit 2016 Financial Times, March 9, 2016. Retrieved September 7, 2016.
- Podcast: Carpathian Gold CEO Scott Moore on building the next gold mine in Romania June 1, 2016. Retrieved September 7, 2016.
- Laurentian Engineering makes its mark Northern Ontario, June 10, 2015. Retrieved September 13, 2016.
- Laurentian receives largest donation in its history The Sudbury Star, November 24, 2011. Retrieved September 13, 2016.
- LU's school of engineering receives $10 million boost Northern Life, November 24, 2011. Retrieved November 2, 2012.
- Disqualified Canadian sprinters take heart from bank’s donation of $40,000 The Globe and Mail, September 21, 2012. Retrieved September 7, 2016.
- The Bharti Charitable Foundation The Bharti Charitable Foundation. Retrieved November 2, 2012.