|Executive editor||Andreas Campomar|
|Former editors||Daniel Johnson, 2008 - 2018; Michael Mosbacher, 2018 - 2019; Edward Lucas, 2019 - 2020|
|Categories||politics, world affairs, arts and culture|
|Frequency||ten times per year|
|First issue||June 2008|
|Final issue||December 2020|
|Company||Social Affairs Unit Magazines Limited|
Standpoint was a British cultural and political magazine, originally published monthly, that debuted in June 2008. It ceased to be published regularly in 2020, with a final issue coming out in mid 2021.
Standpoint was based in London and was co-founded by Daniel Johnson, Miriam Gross, Jonathan Foreman and Michael Mosbacher; Johnson was its first editor, but announced that he was standing down in 2018.
In 2019, editor Edward Lucas said that the magazine was to be "a lively champion of unfashionable causes such as the virtues of western civilisation and transatlanticism". Later that year, he also said: "We fight culture wars vigorously, mix polemic with mockery, and are all in favour of triggering people."
The magazine was run by the Social Affairs Unit, a spinoff charity of a neoliberal economic thinktank, the Institute of Economic Affairs. It was initially funded by British Marine chairman Alan Bekhor and then by other rich donors, such as Jeremy Hosking, who donated £850,000 in 2019.
- ^ Rajan, Amol (29 December 2008). "Will Standpoint fall at the first hurdle?". The Independent. Archived from the original on 2022-05-24. Retrieved 24 September 2021.
- ^ Semenchenko, Oleksa (June 1, 2008). "World: 'Standpoint' Looks To Move The Earth". Radio Free Europe/Radio Liberty. Retrieved 2011-12-13.
- ^ a b "The Londoner: Right wing mag ready to relaunch". www.standard.co.uk. August 29, 2019.
- ^ Mayhew, Freddy (2 September 2019). "Times columnist takes helm at monthly Standpoint magazine". Press Gazette. Retrieved 24 September 2021.
- ^ "Can 'Prospect' and 'Standpoint' be the best of enemies?". The Independent. October 23, 2011. Archived from the original on 2022-05-24.
- ^ Fortado, Lindsay; Fletcher, Laurence (June 17, 2019). "City financier Jeremy Hosking donates £850,000 to Standpoint magazine". Financial Times.