Edward Lucas (journalist)
Edward Lucas (born 3 May 1962) is a British writer and security specialist.
Born in Wiltshire, he was educated at New College School, Winchester College and the London School of Economics. Lucas briefly studied Polish at the Jagiellonian University in Cracow and also speaks German, Russian, Czech and Lithuanian.
Lucas is senior vice-president at the Center for European Policy Analysis. He writes a column for The Times and occasionally writes for the Daily Mail. He edited Standpoint magazine from September 2019 until March 2020. Lucas has covered Central and Eastern European affairs since 1986, writing, broadcasting, and speaking on the politics, economics, and security of the region.
Lucas spent 23 years at The Economist, working as a foreign correspondent from 1988 to 2002 and a senior editor until 2017. In 1992 he co-founded the Baltic Independent, which in 1996 was merged with Baltic Observer to form The Baltic Times.
Lucas's second wife is the columnist Cristina Odone, with whom he has one child; he had two children with his first wife Claudia, who is German. He lives in London. His father was the Oxford philosopher John Lucas.
- The New Cold War: Putin's Russia and the Threat to the West , Palgrave Macmillan (19 February 2008), ISBN 978-0-230-60612-8.
- Deception: The Untold Story of East-West Espionage Today, Walker & Company (19 June 2012), ISBN 978-0-8027-1157-1
- The Snowden Operation: Inside the West's Greatest Intelligence Disaster, Amazon Publishing (23 January 2014), ASIN: B00I0W61OY
- Cyberphobia: Identity, Trust, Security and the Internet, Bloomsbury (5 May 2015), ISBN 978-1-4088-5013-8
- Spycraft Rebooted: How Technology is Changing Espionage, Amazon Publishing (6 March 2018), ASIN: B078W6LXGG
- "Experts". CEPA.
- "Edward Lucas | The Times Journalist | Muck Rack". muckrack.com. Retrieved 2 October 2019.
- Hope, Christopher (14 September 2019). "Three intellectual magazines to launch as right and centre-left engage in battle of ideas". The Telegraph. ISSN 0307-1235. Retrieved 2 October 2019.
- Fawkes, Guido (3 April 2020). "Standpoint's latest editor out after six months". Order Order. Retrieved 12 April 2020.
- Cristina Odone (31 October 2009). "The stepmothers' survival guide". The Guardian. Retrieved 23 February 2012.
- Journalist Edward Lucas becomes the 1st Estonian e-resident. ERR, 1 December 2014