Stanley Aborah (footballer, born 1987)
Stanley Aborah (left) in 2008
|Full name||Stanley Opoku Aborah|
|Date of birth||23 June 1987|
|Place of birth||Kumasi, Ghana|
|Height||1.70 m (5 ft 7 in)|
|2005–2006||→ Den Bosch (loan)||21||(3)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 6 May 2017.
Stanley Opoku Aborah (born 23 June 1987) is a Ghanaian-Belgian footballer who plays for EFL League Two side Portsmouth. He is primarily an attacking midfielder. He holds both a Ghanaian passport and a Belgian passport.
Aborah was born in Kumasi, Ghana, and has had Belgian nationality since he was 10 years old. He had spells at R.S.C. Anderlecht, Cappellen, AA Gent and Germinal Beerschot before joining the Ajax youth team in 2001. His father, Stanley Aborah, Snr, a former Ghana international, operated as a defensive midfielder and played at clubs including Germinal Ekeren (now Germinal Beerschot).
In the Netherlands
As a former Jong Ajax captain, he stepped into the senior Ajax squad in 2004–05 and made his debut on 16 October 2004, against SC Heerenveen, playing in the UEFA Champions League victory against Maccabi Tel-Aviv three days later.
In Belgium, Slovakia and England
On 3 January 2007, he signed for Belgian Second Division side FCV Dender EH on a free transfer. In the summer of 2007, Aborah signed a two-year contract with his former club Den Bosch. In 2010, he left Bosch and joined second division Slovakian team; AS Trenčín, he then left them at the end of the season and joined Gillingham of England's Football League Two on a one-month contract in August 2010, which was subsequently extended to two months. He made his Gillingham debut in 1–0 defeat away to Bradford City on 18 September 2010, but this proved to be his only appearance for the club, as he was released from his contract on 5 October.
In July 2015, Aborah signed for Notts County after having a trial with the Nottinghamshire side. He remained with the club until he was released on 31 January 2017. Aborah subsequently signed for Portsmouth but was released after just 4 appearances, 3 as a sub, in the summer of 2017.
- "List of Players under Written Contract Registered Between 01/08/2010 and 31/08/2010" (PDF). The Football Association. Retrieved 2010-10-11.
- "UEFA Champions League Profile". uefa.com. 2005-09-14. Retrieved 2005-09-14.
- "Ajax 3–0 Maccabi Tel-Aviv". ESPNsoccernet. 2004-10-19. Retrieved 2004-10-19.
- "Ajax restore pride, hope with 3–0 win over Maccabi Tel-Aviv". ajax-usa.com. 2004-10-19. Archived from the original on 2005-03-06. Retrieved 2004-10-19.
- "Stanley Aboran loaned out to Den Bosch". ghanaweb.com. 2005-11-04. Retrieved 2005-11-04.
- "Aborah signs for the Gills". Gillingham F.C. 5 August 2010. Retrieved 5 August 2010.
- "Gillingham release midfielder Stanley Aborah". BBC Sport. 5 October 2010. Retrieved 5 October 2010.
- "Notts sign West Brom striker on loan as Aborah leaves Meadow Lane". Nottingham Post. 2017-01-31. Retrieved 2017-02-13.
- Stanley Aborah at Soccerway