Stars Go Dim
|Stars Go Dim|
|Also known as||SGD|
|Origin||Tulsa, Oklahoma, US|
|Genres||Pop rock, Christian pop, Christian rock|
Stars Go Dim (SGD) is an American pop rock band from Tulsa, Oklahoma that formed in late 2007. The band originally consisted of Chris Cleveland (vocals, piano, and guitar), Joey Avalos (guitar), Michael Wittig (bass guitar), and Lester Estelle II (drums). Now composed of Chris Cleveland, Michael Cleveland, Kyle Williams and Josh Roach, the band recently signed to Fervent Records (Word Entertainment). Stars Go Dim announced their major label released, self-titled debut in October 2015. Their first single is titled "You Are Loved".
Stars Go Dim began as a side project of the Christian rock band Pillar. Wittig and Estelle ultimately left Pillar to focus on Stars Go Dim in 2008. Avalos was also a touring member of Pillar before committing to the new band, and was previously in Justifide.
After forming in late 2007, the band finished recording and finally released their first self-titled EP in October 2008, which consists of five tracks: "Come Around", "Crazy", "Walk On", "Incredible", and, "Get Over It". Avalos stated that, "We just love to write songs that make you want to sing-along," and "it wasn't until I had written a twelve or so songs that we realized what we had. It's really this intricate mess of a love story that will unfold itself with our full-length album."
After forming and releasing their first EP, the band has had a moderate string of success. They've opened up for Switchfoot, The Fray, Daughtry, and Graham Colton and have shared the stage with Paramore, The All-American Rejects, and The Roots. The band credits their success to their fans. Cleveland stated, "We really do have the best fans. Really. They were onboard with us when we just had a few videos of us writing the songs and no other music or bells and whistles to offer." Wittig also commented about the band's fans, saying, "The online communities have helped us get to know our fans better and vice versa. We're always coming up with new ways to connect."
To follow up their EP, the band released their first full-length album Love Gone Mad August 4, 2009.
Since 2010 Lester Estelle II is not an official band member, but he still does engineering and studio work for the band. In 2011 SGD released two singles, "Like I Mean It" and "Hesitate", and shot music videos for both. "Like I Mean It" music video is taken for rotation on mtvU in February 2011.
|2009||Love Gone Mad|
|2015||Stars Go Dim|
Love Gone Mad was released on August 4, 2009. The band also filmed a music video for the songs "Come Around" and "Get Over It". Discussing the album, Avalos once stated, "I probably wrote 20 songs in roughly two weeks and this is what came out of it."
All tracks written by Joey Avalos, except where noted.
|Love Gone Mad track listing|
|1.||"Get Over It"||4:42|
|3.||"Come Around"||Avalos, Cleveland||3:52|
|4.||"Love Gone Mad"||3:50|
|5.||"Catch Me If You Can"||3:23|
|6.||"Where Has Our Love Gone"||4:36|
|9.||"Hoping for Tomorrow"||5:39|
|10.||"Walk On"||Avalos, Cleveland||4:52|
|11.||"You've Got Me"||4:28|
|12.||"More Than Love" (Bonus track)||3:07|
- 2008 - Stars Go Dim
- 2011 - Between Here and Now
- Chris Cleveland lead vocals, piano, guitar (2007–present)
- Josh Black Panda Roach drums (2012–present)
- Joey Avalos acoustic guitar (2007–present) electric guitar (2012–present)
- Kyle Williams electric guitar (2012–present)
- Lester Estelle II keyboard, backing vocals (2007-2010) and drums (2012)
- Kevin Rogers acoustic guitar (2007)
- Luke Sullivant acoustic guitar (2007)
- Michael Wittig bass guitar (2012)
Awards and Nominations
In 2009, the band won the Channel One News Hear It Now Artist of the Year Award. That same year, the band won the "Absolute Best of Tulsa" award by Urban Tulsa Weekly for the Best Pop Rock Group August 8, 2009.
- Andre, Jonathan (November 1, 2015). "Music Reviews: Stars Go Dim – Stars Go Dim". 365 Days of Inspiring Media. Retrieved November 1, 2015.
- "Stars Go Dim | Gratis muziek, tourneedata, foto's, video's". Myspace.com. Retrieved October 13, 2011.
- "50th Annual Grammy Awards Nominations List". The Recording Academy. December 6, 2007. Retrieved December 7, 2007.
- Jennifer Chancellor, "Dim Bulbs Brighten", Tulsa World, November 2, 2009.
- "Kanaal van starsgodim2". YouTube. Retrieved October 13, 2011.
- Shriver, Mikayla (November 16, 2015). "Positive Pop Debut". New Release Today. Retrieved November 17, 2015.
- "Love Gone Mad"; Amazon.com; retrieved October 14, 2009.
- "Stars Go Dim"; by Fletcher, Christa; channelone.com; retrieved October 14, 2009.
- "Pop/Rock with Passion"; starsgodim.com; 2009; retrieved October 14, 2009.
- Name. "Interact". Retrieved January 29, 2017.
- "2016 Nominees - The 48th Annual GMA Dove Awards". Retrieved January 29, 2017.