|Birth name||Stephen Christian Arnold|
|Born||Kalamazoo, Michigan, United States|
|Genres||Alternative rock, acoustic rock, pop punk, Christian rock|
|Associated acts||Anberlin, Anchor & Braille, SaGoh 24/7|
Stephen Christian is an American singer and songwriter best known as the former lead vocalist of the alternative rock band Anberlin, as well as the vocalist of his acoustic side-project Anchor & Braille. He and his bandmates started Anberlin in 2002, after the demise of their previous group, known as SaGoh 24/7. He is one of the main songwriters for Anberlin along with Joseph Milligan, and with the band has released seven albums, the final being in 2014. Many of the albums in the Anberlin discography have peaked in the top ten on various Billboard charts.
He founded the non-profit and humanitarian-oriented band Faceless International, and is the founder of Wood Water Records, the home of Anchor & Braille. Christian wrote and self-published the memoir The Orphaned Anything's (2008). Christian also started the solo project Anchor & Braille in 2007, and their debut album Felt, produced by Aaron Marsh of Copeland, was released in 2009. Felt debuted at number 30 on the Billboard Top Heatseekers chart. They released a second album, The Quiet Life, in 2012, with Christian again handling vocals and songwriting. A reviewer on Absolutepunk called The Quiet Life "a chaotic beauty of an album as well as [Christian's] most personal and eloquent effort to date."
- 1 Early life and education
- 2 Music career
- 3 Style and influences
- 4 Publishing history
- 5 Discography
- 6 See also
- 7 Further reading
- 8 References
- 9 External links
Early life and education
At some point in his early life, Christian moved to Winter Haven, Florida. Christian attended Winter Haven High School along with bandmates Deon Rexroat and Joseph Milligan. During high school, the three formed the punk band SaGoh 24/7 with Joey Bruce, which eventually transformed into Anberlin. Christian's younger brother Paul was an influence on some of the band's music. They released two albums, Servants After God's Own Heart (1999), and Then I Corrupt Youth (2001), with Christian singing lead vocals on both.
Christian is a graduate from University of Central Florida and the Florida State University College of Law, with a bachelor's degree in Psychology. He attended college to study non-profits, with plans to work for Habitat for Humanity or UNICEF, but Anberlin was signed a month after he graduated.
|Problems playing this file? See media help.|
Following the signing of Anberlin, Christian wrote many of the band's albums. Anberlin has released seven albums: Blueprints for the Black Market, Never Take Friendship Personal, Cities, New Surrender, and Dark Is the Way, Light Is a Place, Vital, and Lowborn. Anberlin has also released a compilation album, Lost Songs. They released their final album in 2014.
Christian wrote a memoir, The Orphaned Anything's, which was self-published via iUniverse in early 2008.
2007-14: Anchor and Braille, Wood Water Records
He is also the founder of Anchor & Braille's label, Wood Water Records, which is distributed through Universal Music Group, which Anberlin is signed to. He founded the acoustic group Anchor & Braille, and they released a 7" single in 2007. He wrote all songs and performed vocals on their 2009 album Felt, which was recorded in 2008. The album was released through Christian's own label Wood Water Records and Federal Distribution on August 4, 2009 and was produced, engineered and mixed by Aaron Marsh from fellow Florida-based band Copeland. Felt debuted at number 30 on the Billboard Top Heatseekers chart.
His 2012 album with Anchor and Braille titled The Quiet Life was well received by critics, with most of the praise directed at Christian's songwriting. Of "Goes Without Saying", Artist Direct called it "One of the most brilliant and beautiful entries into Christian's catalog, and it's the perfect prelude to the sonic majesty contained in The Quiet Life."
Style and influences
Christian has stated that his interest in humanitarian efforts has influenced the themes of several of Anberlin's songs.
- The Orphaned Anything's (February 2008)
With SaGoh 24/7
- Studio albums
- 1999: Servants After God's Own Heart - lead vocals
- 2001: Then I Corrupt Youth - lead vocals
- Studio albums
- 2003: Blueprints for the Black Market - lead vocals
- 2005: Never Take Friendship Personal - lead vocals
- 2007: Cities - lead vocals
- 2007: Lost Songs - lead vocals
- 2008: New Surrender - lead vocals, guitar, piano, synthesizer
- 2010: Dark Is the Way, Light Is a Place - lead vocals
- 2012: Vital - lead vocals
- 2013: Devotion - lead vocals
- 2014: Lowborn - lead vocals
With Anchor & Braille
|Year||Album title||Release details||Chart peaks|
|2012||The Quiet Life||
|2016||Songs for the Late Night Drive Home||
|"—" denotes a recording that did not chart or was not released in that territory.|
As a solo artist
- Wildfires – 2017
The following is an incomplete list of songs that have Stephen Christian featured as either a vocalist or songwriter:
- 2009: Craig Owens - With Love EP (featured vocalist on the song "Products of Poverty")
- 2011: Hyland - "The One That Got Away" (featuring Stephen Christian during the chorus)
- 2015: Fireflight - "Safety" (featuring Stephen Christian), on Innova
- Horsell Common - "I'm Dead" (featuring Stephen Christian)
- Esteban - "Follow" (featuring Stephen Christian)
- Greek Fire - "I'm Afraid of Americans" (featuring Stephen Christian)
- Number One Gun - "Disappear" (featuring Stephen Christian), on This Is All We Know
- Interview: Stephen Christian of Anberlin by Songfacts (January 3, 2013)
- Interview: Anberlin’s Stephen Christian by Vulture Magazine (August 18, 2014)
- Interview: John O’Callaghan (the Maine) and Stephen Christian (Anberlin) talk co-headlining by Alt Press (October 15, 2013)
- Video: Interview with Stephen Christian by Real Feels (August 19, 2014)
- "Chart History - Heatseekers Albums". Billboard. Retrieved August 14, 2009.
- "Anchor & Braille - The Quiet Life". AbsolutePunk.net. Retrieved October 15, 2014.
- "myYearbook QAnberlin 's Question: Q: Where are you originally from? Just curious... A: i was born in kalamazoo, michigan but raised in St". Chatter.myyearbook.com. Retrieved November 17, 2011.
- "Topic Galleries - South Florida". Sun-sentinel.com. October 19, 2011. Retrieved November 17, 2011.[dead link]
- "Suburban Roads". Suburban Roads. February 9, 2007. Archived from the original on October 2, 2011. Retrieved November 17, 2011.
- "Meet new people and chat online with MeetMe!". Myyearbook.com. Retrieved June 14, 2014.
- "Anchor & Braille Release Date, Track List". AbsolutePunk. Retrieved June 18, 2009.
- "Anchor & Braille". Interpunk. Archived from the original on August 28, 2009. Retrieved 2009-06-18.
- Shea, Mike (November 2008). "Anberlin Podcast with Alternative Press Magazine". Alternative Press. Retrieved December 2, 2008.
- "Anchor & Braille Debut "Goes Without Saying" on ARTISTdirect.com". ARTISTdirect.
- "#WILDFIRES coming July, 2017". Facebook.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Stephen Christian.|