Steppin' Out (Joe Jackson song)
Artwork for UK vinyl releases; other editions that use this artwork have various B-side tracks
|Single by Joe Jackson|
|from the album Night and Day|
|B-side||"Another World" (UK 7")
"Chinatown" (U.S. 7")
|Released||August 1982 (US)
October 1982 (UK)
|Genre||Synthpop, new wave|
|Length||4:23 (album version)
3:43 (single version)
|Producer(s)||David Kershenbaum, Joe Jackson|
|Joe Jackson singles chronology|
"Steppin' Out" is a song written by Joe Jackson, originally included on his 1982 album Night and Day. The song, inspired by Jackson's time in New York City, was his highest charting single in America.
The song is about the anticipation and excitement of a drive out around the town. Released as a single in early August 1982, it became Jackson's biggest hit in the United States, peaking at #4 in Cash Box and #6 on the Billboard Hot 100 chart. It also reached #4 on Billboard's Adult Contemporary chart. The infectious tune was Jackson's second biggest hit on the UK Singles Chart, also reaching number six. Only "It's Different for Girls", which reached #5 in the UK in 1980, did better. The music video for the song, directed by Steve Barron, featured a housekeeper pretending she was a Cinderella figure. It was filmed over one night in the St. Regis Hotel in New York City during the summer of 1982.
In a retrospective review of the single, Allmusic journalist Chris True praised the song as a "mélange of simple piano hooks, rudimentary electronic treatment and classic vocal pop, with a rhythm track that is quaint in its simplicity and driving enough to invoke images of the big city at night."
The song was most recently covered by AM & Shawn Lee on their 2013 album La Musique Numérique. It was also covered by Stanley Jordan on his 2008 album State of Nature, Kurt Elling on his 2011 album The Gate, and Fantastic Plastic Machine on his 1998 self-titled album.
|Australia (Kent Music Report)||30|
|Canada Singles Chart||5|
|German Singles Chart||28|
|Irish Singles Chart||5|
|New Zealand Singles Chart||21|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||6|
|US Billboard Hot 100||6|
|US Radio & Records CHR/Pop Airplay Chart||2|
|US Mainstream Rock Chart (Billboard)||7|
- Strong, Martin C. (2000). The Great Rock Discography (5th ed.). Edinburgh: Mojo Books. pp. 485–486. ISBN 1-84195-017-3.
- "Steppin' Out" by Joe Jackson at Songfacts.com
- Whitburn, Joel (2002). Top Adult Contemporary: 1961-2001. Record Research. p. 123.
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. p. 274. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
- "Biography by William Ruhlmann". Allmusic.com. Retrieved 4 May 2009.
- Chris True. "Steppin' Out - Joe Jackson | Listen, Appearances, Song Review". AllMusic. Retrieved 2014-05-10.
- "Staff Lists: The 200 Best Songs of the 1980s". Pitchfork. Retrieved 2016-01-10.
- State of Nature, Album review, 17 Nov. 2008.
- Kurt Elling: The Gate - review, Album review, 10 Mar. 2011.
- Kent, David (1993). Australian Chart Book 1970–1992 (illustrated ed.). St Ives, N.S.W.: Australian Chart Book. p. 151. ISBN 0-646-11917-6.
- "Screen shot of search results for 'Joe Jackson', from http://www.irishcharts.ie/search/placement". Fireball Media. Retrieved 2015-12-04. External link in
- "Joe Jackson: Artist Chart History" Official Charts Company. Retrieved April 3, 2017.
- "Joe Jackson – Chart history" Billboard Hot 100 for Joe Jackson. Retrieved April 3, 2017.