Gurney in 2019
|Full name||Stephen Bruce Gurney|
|Born||8 July 1963|
Christchurch, New Zealand
Up until 1994, he was a professional multisport and triathlon athlete. From there he moved into what is known as adventure racing. In New Zealand, he has competed in races such as the Speights Coast to Coast and the Southern Traverse. Internationally he competes in race events such as the Raid Gauloises, Eco-Challenge and Extreme Games. He won the Coast to Coast, more than any other person, in 1990, 1991, and 1997 to 2003. Gurney also starred in the New Zealand TV show "Clash of the Codes".
In 1994, a severe Leptospirosis infection caught from bat dung in the Mulu caves whilst racing in Sarawak jungles in Malaysia very nearly cost him his life with respiratory and renal failure. His determination and patience allowed him to fight back to full fitness.
On 8 August 2007, he announced his retirement from the sport due to a two-year fight with an ankle injury. He said he was disappointed that he could not win a 10th Coast to Coast title and also that he finished his last competitive race in 2nd place. He also broke his arm going on the trip on the desert. He now presents motivational talks, develops new sports related products and undertakes unique challenges around the world Together with Christchurch adventure racers Steve Moffatt, Gurney recognised the strong talent in Anton Cooper, a cross-country cyclist, and organised financial support from various business people.
- Lucky Legs: what I’ve learned about winning & losing ISBN 978-1-86979-060-8
- Eating Dirt ISBN 978-1-86979-967-0
- The Beginners Guide to Adventure Sport in New Zealand ISBN 978-1-77553-837-0
- "Gurney Gears".
- New Year Honours List 2004. Department of the Prime Minister and Cabinet. Retrieved 7 July 2013.
- "Multi-sport legend retires". Television New Zealand. Newstalk ZB. 8 August 2007. Retrieved 13 November 2011.
- Steve Gurney Motivational Speaker
- Gifford, Phil (3 August 2014). "No hakas but Glasgow Games have been blast". Stuff.co.nz. Retrieved 24 April 2016.
- Steve Gurney's motivational talk and news site
- Steve's Books and GurneyGears product range
- GurneyGoo product range