Karis (left), Courtney (middle) and Alexandra (right)
|Origin||London, United Kingdom|
Stooshe are a British girl group from London, consisting of members Alexandra Buggs, Karis Anderson and Courtney Rumbold. Initially signed to Warner Music they released of their first single "Love Me", featuring American rapper Travie McCoy, in 2012. Later that year Stooshe was nominated for the BBC's Sound of 2012 poll.
Their debut single, "Love Me", featuring American rapper Travie McCoy, peaked at number five on the UK Singles Chart. They released "Black Heart" in June 2012, which peaked at number three after a month in the top 10. A cover of TLC's "Waterfalls" was released as a single in November 2012. "Slip" was released as the third single and reached number 12 on the UK Singles Chart. Their debut album, London with the Lights On, entered at number eight on the UK Albums Chart on 2 June 2013. Due to disappointing sales, Stooshe left Warner Music. The first single from their second album, "Lock Down", was released on 15 January 2016. Stooshe announced "Let It Go" as the second official single, and it was released 1 July 2016.
Stooshe was formed in May 2010 and signed to Warner Music in August 2011. The original concept was to create an urban and soulful Spice Girls. Alexandra Buggs, Karis Anderson and Courtney Rumbold formed following a series of auditions and scouting in Topshop stores over a nine-month period.
Using tracks from writing/production duo Future Cut, the group spent the next twelve months developing their look and sound. Anderson said the band's name originates from the word 'stoosh', which is urban slang for something expensive, "a girl who thinks she's nicer than she is", or being stoned. They then added 'she' on the end to represent female empowerment. The resulting name is pronounced like the Scottish word "stooshie".
The group released their first song, "Fuck Me", on YouTube on 14 March 2011, originally featuring rapper Suave Debonair. This was subsequently re-recorded under the title Love Me with Travie McCoy. The group also recorded a music video for "Hot Stepper", a cover of the 1994 track "Here Comes the Hotstepper" by Ini Kamoze at Hyde Park's Wireless Festival in July 2011.
The second single, "Betty Woz Gone", was released onto iTunes on 28 October 2011, earning placement on BBC Radio 1's In New Music We Trust playlist. In March 2012 they re-released Fuck Me under the new title of Love Me., which served as the lead single from their first album, Stooshe. The track marked the group's first chart appearance, debuting at number five on the UK Singles Chart - having sold 37,789 copies, also peaking at number seven on the Scottish Singles Chart for the week ending 17 March 2012.
Stooshe released their second single, "Black Heart", on 15 June 2012, which peaked at number three on the UK chart. It was announced in June 2012 that the group would be supporting American rapper Nicki Minaj on the UK leg of the Pink Friday Tour. Stooshe performed a brief set on the Bingley Music Live main stage on 31 August 2012. It was announced in October 2012 that the group would be supporting Jennifer Lopez on a part of the European leg of the Dance Again World Tour.
On 15 November, it was reported that the album's release would be delayed until March 2013 after their cover of TLC classic nineties track "Waterfalls" failed to chart in the Top 20. Stooshe's debut album was released on 27 May 2013, under the title London with the Lights On. Their performed "Slip" on Britain's Got More Talent TV show on 1 June 2013. London with the Lights On entered the UK albums chart at Number 8. "My Man Music" was announced as the fourth single from the album.
In Autumn 2013, the band split from their record label due to disagreements over London with the Lights On. They are currently working (as of February 2014) independently on their second album. They have said that eventually they will sign to a new label. They are now under Trilogy Records.
Stooshe have announced "Lock Down" as their latest single from their upcoming untitled secondalbum, the single was released on 15 January 2016. The video to "Lock Down" was shot in L.A, and at HM Kingston Prison, Portsmouth UK. The new single has two official remixes. Stooshe announced "Let It Go" as the second single from the second album. The music video was shot by Damien Sandoval, who also filmed "Lock Down", in Italy. "Let It Go" was released 1 July 2016.
- London with the Lights On (2013)
Awards and nominations
|2011||BBC||Sound of 2012||Stooshe||Nominated|||
|2012||4Music Video Honours||Best Breakthrough||Stooshe||Nominated|||
|Best Video of 2012||"Black Heart"||Nominated|
|Best Video of 2012||"Love Me"||Nominated|
|MOBO Awards||Best Newcomer||Stooshe||Nominated|||
|2013||BRIT Awards||Best British Single||"Black Heart"||Nominated|||
|Arqiva Commercial Radio Awards||PPL Breakthrough UK Artist of the Year||Stooshe||Nominated|||
|2014||2014 World Music Awards||World Music Award for World's Best Album||London with the Lights On||Nominated|||
- The Papercut Chronicles II Tour (supporting Gym Class Heroes) (January 2012)
- Pink Friday Tour (supporting Nicki Minaj) (June 2012)
- Dance Again World Tour (supporting Jennifer Lopez) (October 2012)
- Stooshe Live Tour (UK Headline Tour) (12–18 December 2012) 
- "Band of the Day #1012 - Stooshe". The Guardian. 2011-04-27.
- "BBC - Sound of 2012 - Stooshe - Profile". BBC. 2011-12-05.
- "Official Charts Company - Stooshe". The Official Charts Company. 6 May 2013.
- "#LetItGo New video out soooooon!!". Stooshe. 21 May 2016. Retrieved 22 May 2016.
- "Interview with Jo Perry". HitQuarters. 30 May 2013. Retrieved 2 Jun 2013.
- "Stooshe may not be sweet, but they're certainly spicy". Daily Mirror. 2011-08-12.
- "Ones to Watch - Stooshe". Digital Spy. 2011-10-31.
- "StooShe confirm Travie McCoy duet for debut single". DigitalSpy. 2011-11-28.
- "Stooshe debut 'Hot Stepper' music video". Digital Spy. 2011-07-23.
- "Stooshe "Betty Woz Gone" (Official Lyric Video)". Youtube. 2011-09-23.
- "Stooshe confirm Travie McCoy duet for debut single". DigitalSpy. 2011-11-28.
- Peak positions in Scotland:
- Corner, Lewis (31 May 2012). "Nicki Minaj confirms Stooshe as UK tour support". Digital Spy. (Hearst Magazines UK). Retrieved 30 June 2012.
- Loading... (2012-09-19). "Jennifer Lopez Hires Stooshe For UK Tour Support - Celebrity Gossip, News & Photos, Movie Reviews, Competitions". Entertainmentwise. Retrieved 2012-11-11.
- Copsey, Robert (15 November 2012). "Stooshe delay debut album until March 2013". Digital Spy. Hearst Magazines UK. Retrieved 15 November 2012.
- Copsey, Robert (18 March 2013). "Stooshe confirm new single 'Slip', album release dates". Digital Spy. Hearst Magazines UK. Retrieved 18 March 2013.
- "Official Albums Chart Top 100". officialcharts.com.
- "Stooshe release 'My Man Music' video - Music-News.com". music-news.com.
- "Harrow Times". harrowtimes.co.uk.
- "Stooshe". www.twitter.com.
- "#LetItGo New video out soooooon!!". www.instagram.com.
- "4Music Video Honours 2012". 4Music. Box Television. October 2012. Retrieved 27 October 2012.
- Daniels, Colin (17 September 2012). "MOBO Awards 2012: Nominations in full - Labrinth, Rita Ora, more". Digital Spy. Hearst Magazines UK. Retrieved 18 September 2012.
- Eames, Tom (10 January 2013). "Brit Awards 2013: Nominations in full". Digital Spy. Hearst Magazines UK. Retrieved 10 January 2013.
- Goodacre, Kate (4 July 2013). "Arqiva Commercial Radio Awards 2013: All the winners and nominees". Digital Spy. Hearst Magazines UK. Retrieved 20 July 2013.