Story of O (film)
|Story of O|
Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Just Jaeckin|
|Produced by||Gérard Lorin
|Written by||Sébastien Japrisot|
|Based on||Story of O
by Pauline Réage
|Music by||Pierre Bachelet|
|Edited by||Francine Pierre|
Yang Films, SN Prodis
|Distributed by||Allied Artists Pictures (US)|
|105 minutes (Uncut)
A young woman fashion photographer known only as O is taken by her lover René to Château Roissy, where she is subject to various sexual and/or sadomasochistic rituals. O is taught to be constantly available for oral, vaginal, and anal intercourse. She is regularly stripped, blindfolded, chained and whipped;her labium is pierced and her buttocks are branded. She leaves wearing a ring as a sign of her initiation.
O meets a model called Jacqueline whilst René introduces O to Sir Stephen H, who was raised as René's brother, and the two men share O. Jacqueline moves into O's flat, and is seduced by her. O is then sent by Sir Stephen to the country house of Anne-Marie where she and other young women are prepared to be branded by Sir Stephen.
O's visit concludes with Sir Stephen's inserting rings into her labia and being branded with his initials. Sir Stephen then shares her with two other men, the commander and Ivan.
Later Sir Stephen, O, Jacqueline and René visit the commander's home in Brittany for a party and O takes Jacqueline to Roissy where she will be trained to serve Rene. Some time after that, O asks Sir Stephen if he would endure the same punishments and experiences that she has undergone to show her unconditional love for him. When he says "I suppose so", she suddenly burns his hand with a hot cigarette holder, leaving there a circle, or an O.
- Corinne Cléry as O
- Udo Kier as René
- Anthony Steel as Sir Stephen
- Jean Gaven as Pierre
- Li Sellgren as Jacqueline
- Christiane Minazzoli as Anne-Marie
- Alain Noury as Ivan
- Martine Kelly as Therese
- Jean-Pierre Andréani as Eric, maître
- Gabriel Cattand as The commander
- Henri Piégay as Maître
- Florence Cayrol as Yvonne
- Tittle: The Story of O
- French title: Histoire d'O
- Director: Just Jaeckin, assisted by Christine Gozlan
- Screenplay: Sébastien Japrisot after the novel Histoire d'O by Pauline Réage
- Production: Gérard Lorin, Eric Rochat
- Production companies: Yang Films, S.N. Prodis
- Distribution companies: Concorde Film, Artisan Entertainment, Allied Artists Pictures
- Music: Pierre Bachelet (French singer)
- Set design: Jean-Baptiste Poirot
- Costumes : Tan Giudicelli
- Photographie : Robert Fraisse et Yves Rodallec
- Directeur artistique : Jean-Baptiste Poirot
- Montage : Francine Pierre
- Language : French
- Format : color - format projection 1,85:1 - Monophonique mono, 35 mm
- Genre : erotic
- Public : Not under 18 years of age in 1975, 16 years old today.
The film has been given a rating of 40% by Rotten Tomatoes.
- Story of O (comics) by Guido Crepax
- The Story of O at the British Film Institute (BFI) Archived 24 June 2009 at the Wayback Machine.
- Our Arts Reporter. "Ban on a controversial French film by GLC". Times [London, England] 3 June 1976: 3. The Times Digital Archive. Web. 12 July 2012
- "The Story of O Movie Reviews, Pictures". Rotten Tomatoes. Retrieved 3 June 2010.