Straelen (German pronunciation: [ˈʃtʁaːlən]) is a municipality in the district of Cleves, in North Rhine-Westphalia, Germany. It is located near the border with the Netherlands, approx. 10 km north-east of Venlo.
Straelen was first mentioned in Latin as Strala in 1063.
Sons and daughters of the city
- Erwin van Aaken (1904-2008), architect for church buildings
- Matthias Mertens (1906-1970), Roman Catholic priest, was imprisoned in Dachau concentration camp
- Elmar Tophoven (1923-1989), German literary translator
- Paul Wans (born 1957), artist, painter
- Regina Peeters (born 1964), librarian
- Veronika Fischer (1964-2012), Lord Mayor of the City of Mayen
Herongen, church: die Sankt Amanduskirche