Life and work
In March 2015 Forster was named Journalist of the Year at the Holland Press Awards for his body of work on the Netherlands and Dutch culture published in 2014.
Forster's written work has appeared in the Independent on Sunday, The Sydney Morning Herald, The Hindu, The Times Group publications, and Deccan Herald. He has written and photographed for National Geographic , National Geographic Kids, and The Wisden Cricketer.
He has contributed to the books The Irresponsible Traveller: Tales of Scrapes and Narrow Escapes (Bradt, 2014), Driving Holidays Across India (Outlook Traveller, 2009), which was named the 2010 winner of India's National Tourism Award for best travel publication in English, and Secret Journeys of a Lifetime: 500 of the World's Best Hidden Travel Gems (National Geographic, 2011). He wrote about snake boat racing in Kerala (Stark World, 2006).
His photography is influenced by his mentor, the late Indian photojournalist N. Thiagarajan, who described himself as "a pictorial photojournalist". In May 2009 one of Forster's images, photographed during a demonstration in Delhi, India, was selected for inclusion in the UK National Union of Journalists' Photography Matters exhibition in London of fifty news photographs taken by NUJ members during 2007 and 2008.
Forster is also active in the field of intercultural studies (cross-cultural communication) and lectures on photography and travel writing.
Forster played national league basketball in England and Wales for U.C. Swansea (1990–93) and Leicester Falcons (1993–94). He was selected to play for the University of Wales in the British Universities Sports Federation championships in 1992.
- Forster, Stuart (9 August 2015). "Philip Larkin's Hull: Marking 30 years since the poet’s death". The Independent. Retrieved 2 September 2015.
- Forster, Stuart (13 May 2012). "It's a man's world...". Fairfax Media. Retrieved 2 September 2015.
- Forster, Stuart (2 November 2008). "Bollywood goes German". The Hindu. Retrieved 29 July 2015.
- Forster, Stuart (29 September 2013). "October Revolution". Mumbai Mirror. Retrieved 29 July 2015.
- Forster, Stuart (25 November 2012). "Walling up history". Deccan Herald. Retrieved 29 July 2015.
- Forster, Stuart (20 March 2013). "Rwanda: On the trail of chimpanzees". National Geographic (magazine). Retrieved 29 July 2015.