The Times Group
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Founded||4 November 1838|
|Headquarters||Mumbai, Maharashtra, India|
(Chief Executive Officer)
|Revenue||₹9,976 crore (US$1.5 billion) (2016)|
|₹1,292 crore (US$200 million) (2016)|
Number of employees
The Times Group is India’s largest media conglomerate, according to Financial Times as of March 2015. The Audit Bureau of Circulations reported in May 2014 that the Times of India had the largest circulation of any English-language newspaper in the world, with 3,321,702 average qualifying sales. The company remains a family-owned business as the descendants of Sahu Jain own a majority stake in The Times Group. The Times Group has over 11,000 employees and revenue exceeding $1.5 billion.
- 1 History
- 2 TV Channels under Times Network
- 3 Overview
- 4 Subsidiaries
- 5 See also
- 6 References
- 7 Further reading
- 8 External links
This article is in a list format that may be better presented using prose. (March 2013)
The first edition appears on 3 November 1838, known as The Bombay Times and Journal of Commerces as a semi-weekly edition by Raobahadur Narayan Dinanath Velkar, a Maharashtrian Reformist. The newspaper was published twice a week (Saturday and Wednesday) under editor J.E. Brennan. It is basically a city paper reflecting the interest of Bombay's business community.
In 1850, the shareholders decided to increase the share capital and the paper became a daily.
In 1859, Bombay Standard and Chronicle of Western India merges with The Bombay Times and Journal of Commerce to form Bombay Times & Standard.
1890: Editor Henry Curwen buys The Times of India in partnership with Charles Kane.
1892: Following Curwen's death, Thomas Jewell Bennett becomes the editor and enters into a partnership with Franck Morris Coleman to form a joint stock company - Bennett, Coleman & Co. Ltd. (BCCL).
1907: In the newspaper's first price war under editor Stanley Reed, the price is cut from 4 annas to 1 anna, and circulation rises 5 times.
1946: For the first time, the paper transfers to Indian ownership. Ram Kishan Dalmia buys out Bennett, Coleman & Co. Ltd for Rs. 2 crores.
1948: Sahu Jain Group become the owners of the company after Dalmia sells the firm to recover 2.5 crores he needs to pay back to an insurance company. Sahu Shanti Prasad Jain, son-in-law of Ram Kishan Dalmia, becomes the first chairman of the group.
1950: Delhi edition is launched with K. Gopalswami as the first Indian editor.
1952: Filmfare launched and started by J.C. Jain, the first Indian to be the GM of TOI.
1959: Femina is launched.
1960: Sahu Ramesh Chandra Jain joins BCCL
1961: The Economic Times is launched.
1962: Maharashtra Times is launched.
1982: Samir Jain join BCCL.
1984: Times of India, Bombay set up modernized newsroom (including new look classified pages)
1985: Times of India, Delhi set up modernized newsroom (including new look classified pages)
1985: Nandita Jain joins BCCL and started Saturday Times
1986: Vineet Jain joins BCCL. Is not back in Delhi because finishing his education in Switzerland. All Times of India Group marketing, advertising and promotional material is sent to him for his brand orientation.The Economic Times celebrates its Silver Jubilee.Crosses circulation of 100,000 copies for the first time in its publishing history. The paper is printed on white newsprint and becomes "pink" 5 years later
1986: "MASTERMIND", the Times of India Group consolidated and interlinked newspaper rate card is launched. Causes stir in media circles because it is the country's first ever price positioning exercise. Times of India and Navbharat Times, Patna edition started.
1987: "Saturday Times" is launched in color in February at the first ever Times of India Group Management conference in Goa. "MASTERMIND" is run in color. The Times Group brand building activity starts in earnest. Printing of The Times of India from Kandivili Press.
1988: The Times of India celebrates 150 years.Celebration is continued for 2 more years due to its immense success in catalyzing art, music and fashion industries in India.Times of India organised debates rage around the country on role of media, advertising, cinema, journalism, print production and mass communication, and become the precursor of India's economic liberalization.
1989 : The Times Group wins its first ever advertising award (Best B&W Campaign in Print Category)for The Times of India sesquicentennial campaign : "Good Times, Sad Times, Changing Times"
1990: The Times School of Marketing is established as an in-house training school to also cater to the Times Group's need for young interns and personnel. Vineet Jain returns to Delhi.The Economic Times launches "Brand Equity" as "News from the Marketing Battlefront" on Wednesdays. Takes marketing fraternity by storm.Weekend "Corporate Dossier" is also launched by The Economic Times.
1991: BBC features The Times of India among the world's six great newspapers.The Economic Times is launched on "salmon pink" newsprint distinguishes it from other business papers published on white newsprint.Cover price of The Economic Times is dropped to Rs.2/- only. Circulation of The Economic Times surges exponentially under the offer line, " Why beg or borrow when you can steal? At Rs.2/- The Economic Times is a steal!"
1992: Campaign commences to urge readers to read The Times of India and The Economic times together to get a better idea of a vastly changing India. Combo subscription rate offered.
1996: The Times of India crosses 1 million mark in circulation.
1998: BCCL enters into music market with Times Music.
2000: The Times of India crosses the 2 million mark in circulation.
2000: Timesofmoney - JV with Citibank.
2001: 360 Degrees - Event Management Arm launched.
2002: Times Outdoor - Outdoor Advertising & Billboard Marketing.MASTERMIND becomes the longest running media price positioning / rate card "brand" acknowledged by industry as a pioneer and path breaker for over 15 years
- Launch of the Jobs portals Times Jobs.
- Television Business launched with the launch of a lifestyle and entertainment channel called z00m.
- Launch of a television News Channel called Times Now in collaboration with Reuters.
- Radio Mirchi holding company ENIL (Entertainment Network India Limited) lists on the Indian stock markets. It is the first Times Group company to List on the bourses.
- Launch of a Property services Portal Magic Bricks
- TimesMatri is rebranded as Simply Marry
- A new holding company by the name of TBSL is created. This company controls the brands TimesJobs SimplyMarry (earlier called TimesMatri) and MagicBricks
- TimesofMoney launches Remit2Home, to cater to Global Remittance Market
- Acquisition of Vijay Karnataka Kannada daily newspaper in Karnataka, India
- The Times Of India edition launched in Nagpur market.
- Launch of SimplyMarryZine.com
- Launch of The Times of India, Chennai Edition
- Launch of Pune Mirror
- Acquisition of Virgin Radio (now known as Absolute Radio) in the UK
- Launch of Times of India - Goa, along with Goa Mirror. However, the Goa edition has relatively less coverage of happenings in Goa.
- Launch of ET Now - A business news channel
- Launch of Vijayanext Kannada Weekly magazine
- Launch of The Times of India, Coimbatore Edition and Madurai Edition and Trichy Edition and Puducherry Edition
- Launch of The Times of India, Kerala, Visakhapatnam and Raipur(Chhattisgarh) Edition
- Launch of "Alive App * Alive app " in partnership with Adstuck Consulting an Augmented Reality App
- Launch of The Times Of India, Aurangabad (M.S)Edition.
- Launch of The Times Of India, Kolhapur Edition.
- Launch of Bennett University, Greater Noida - Programs being offered are B.Tech, BBA, BA Mass Communication, 5 Yrs. Integrated BBA - LLB, MBA, M.Tech - CSE and Pd.D.
TV Channels under Times Network
- MN+ HD
- Romedy Now
- Romedy Now HD
- Movies Now
- Movies Now HD
- MNX HD
- ET Now
- Times Now
- Times Now HD
- Mirror Now
The company has sixteen publishing centres, fifteen printing centres, fifty-five sales offices, Over 11,000 employees, five dailies, including two of the largest in the country with approx 4.3 million, copies circulated daily, two lead magazines, twenty-nine niche magazines reaching 2468 cities and towns, thirty-two Radio Stations.
Its major brands include:
- The Times of India, World's largest English-language broadsheet daily in terms of circulation
- The Economic Times, India's largest financial daily, and the world's second largest in terms of circulation after The Wall Street Journal
- Maharashtra Times, Marathi daily
- Navbharat Times, Hindi Daily in Delhi and Mumbai
- Ei Samay Sangbadpatra, Bengali Daily in Kolkata
- I am Gujarat, News in Gujarati from Gujarat State
- Sandhya Times, Hindi Daily Evening Tabloid in Delhi
- Mumbai Mirror India's largest circulated compact newspaper
- Telugu Samayam, News in Telugu from Andhra Pradesh and Telangana states
- Tamil Samayam, News in Tamil from Tamil Nadu
- Malayalam Samayam, News in Malayalam from Kerala
- Kolkata Mirror
- Ahmedabad Mirror
- Pune Mirror
- Bangalore Mirror, Bangalore's first morning compact daily
- Brand Capital, Play a bigger game.[clarification needed]
- Vijaya Karnataka, Kannada daily.
- ZigWheels, India's largest Automobile magazine.
- ET Wealth, India's largest Personal Finance compact weekly.
The Times Group subsidiary companies include:
Entertainment Network India Limited that controls:
- Radio Mirchi National network of FM radio stations
- 360 Degrees Events
- Times Outdoors Outdoors (TIM Delhi Airport Advertising Private Limited
- Mirchi Movies Limited Filmed Entertainment. Producers of BEING CYRUS, VELLITHIRAI, MANJADIKURU
- Media 360 Concept India Pvt Ltd Bangalore Classifieds Channel Partner.
Times Internet Limited
Times Internet Limited is one of the largest internet companies of India. It has interests in online news, online business news, Hindi, Marathi, Kannada, and Bengali news, mobile, eCommerce, music, video, and communities. Some of the larger properties of TIL include:
- Indiatimes shopping - one of the largest and earliest ecommerce portals in India
Times Group News Sites
- The Times of India
- The Economic Times
- gMumbai Mirror
- IGN India
- Hindi Economic Times
- Times Now
- I am Gujarat
- Pune Mirror
- Tamil Samayam
- Bangalore Mirror
- Maharashtra Times
- Telugu Samayam
- Ahmedabad Mirror
- Go Green
- Bombay Times
- Miss Kyra
- Lifehacker India
- Hindi News
- Education Times
- Gizmodo India
- FILMIPOP Hindi
- Brand Capital
- Gujarati Economic Times
- Vijaya Karnataka
- Malayalam Samayam
- Times Food
Times of Money
Times of Money operates financial remittance services for Indians abroad to send money back to India. Their product, remit2India, is a standalone product, while also powering the remittance services of many banks globally.
Times Business Solutions
- TBSL, corporate website of TBSL.
- TimesJobs, a jobs portal
- Techgig, a professional networking site for Technology Peoples.
- SimplyMarry, a matrimonial portal
- Magic Bricks, a real estate portal
- PeerPower, a Senior-Level professional networking portal
- happykeys, Happykeys is an initiative by Times Business Solutions (TBS) a division of Times Internet Limited which aims at bringing transparency, trust and timeliness to the real estate sector in India.
- Times Guaranty Ltd,  Times Guaranty is in the Finance - Leasing & Hire Purchase sector. The current market capitalization stands at Rs 51.44 crore.
World Wide Media
World Wide Media - started off as a 50:50 magazine joint venture between BCCL and BBC magazines. In August 2011, it was announced that Bennett, Coleman & Co. bought out the remaining 50 per cent shares of Worldwide Media from BBC Worldwide thereby making World Wide Media a fully owned subsidiary of BCCL.
- Filmfare Awards, an awards show
- Femina Style Diva, a part of Femina Miss India pageant.
- Top Gear Magazine India
- BBC Good Homes
- Femina Hindi
- Hello Magazine
- Home & Design TRENDS
- Lonely Planet Magazine India
- BBC Knowledge
- The Machinist
- ET Polymers
TIML Radio Limited
On 30 May 2008, SMG sold The British Virgin Radio to TIML Radio Limited for £53.2 million with £15 million set aside for rebranding. On 28 September 2008, The British Virgin Radio Station rebranded as Absolute Radio, including the sister radio stations Absolute Xtreme and Absolute Classic Rock.
Times Syndication Service
The syndication division of The Times of India Group, grants reprint rights for text, and other media from the group's publications.
Brand Capital is the strategic investment division of the Times Group that works with the entrepreneur eco-system. The company has 5 business offerings namely Brand Capital – which provides advertising capital to investee companies in return for business stake, Brand Estate – a similar offering for the realty sector with property as asset held, Springboard – which creates joint ventures with entrepreneurs in exciting asset-light industries, Brandscope – where aspirational brands are created and nurtured that straddle multiple content and product categories and lastly Incubator Capital – which impacts start-ups growth trajectory through business and brand incubation. Brand Capital also has two marketing divisions – ScaleUp, a mentoring platform and PROPEL – an entrepreneur outreach program.
- "The BCCL empire—towering over the competition". The Hoot.
- "Times Group may go for an IPO 'in the long run'". Business Standard. 6 October 2012.
- James Crabtree, Mumbai (23 March 2015). "Uber in tie-up with Times of India digital arm". Financial Times. Retrieved 24 March 2015.
- "Details of most circulated publications for the audit period July - December 2013". Audit Bureau of Circulations. 21 May 2014. Retrieved 24 March 2015.
- About Us zOOm[dead link]
- The Journal of the Royal Geographic Society of London, Volume 21 By Royal Geographical Society of Great Britain.
- Australian Library Collections Libraries Australia
- South Asian Newspapers in Australian Libraries: a Holdings List National Library of Australia
- Australian Library Collections Libraries Australia
- "b4-i-4get: The Vinci code of Mastermind: Uncovering the first ever price positioning exercise in the Indian Media history…". Best Media.
- ENIL Archived 3 July 2008 at the Wayback Machine. enil.com
- Our History Archived 11 August 2008 at the Wayback Machine. Times Business Solutions
- TOI’s launch all set to heat up Chennai livemint.com
- Sale of Virgin Radio to TIML for £53.2 million London Stock Exchange
- Times Group buys UK's Virgin Radio for Rs 448 cr The Economic Times
- Times of India company buys Virgin Radio Holdings Ltd Campaign India
- About Us Archived 16 September 2008 at the Wayback Machine. Times Music
- Virgin Radio owner sets his dial for the web Financial Times
- World Press Trends 2008. World Association of Newspapers. 2008. p. 14. Retrieved 23 June 2009.
- About Us Archived 22 July 2008 at the Wayback Machine. Times Business Solutions Limited
- "Times Guaranty Stock Price, Share Price, Live BSE/NSE, Times Guaranty Bids Offers. Buy/Sell Times Guaranty news & tips, & F&O Quotes". www.moneycontrol.com. Retrieved 2017-11-16.
- owned+subsidiary+of+BCCL Worldwide Media becomes wholly-owned subsidiary of BCCL
- Virgin rebranded as Absolute Radio Financial Times
- Bauer Media buys Absolute Radio | Media. theguardian.com (2013-07-29). Retrieved on 2013-12-23.
- Times Syndication Service (TSS)
- "Times Internet to launch SatvikShop.com as an ecommerce store of Ayurveda products". India Digital Review. Retrieved 2012-08-22.
- "TIL-backed organic & ayurvedic e-store Satvikshop goes live". VCCircle. Retrieved 2012-08-29.
- Ken Auletta, "Citizens Jain - Why India's Newspaper Industry is Thriving", The New Yorker, 8 October 2012, pages 52–61.