|Current champions||AIFF F.C. U-17 (Junior)
Govt. Chawngfiang Middle School, Mizoram (Sub-Junior))
Subroto Cup Football Tournament is one of the famous inter-school football tournament in India, named after the Indian Air Force Air Marshal Subroto Mukerjee. It started in 1960 and has been conducted every year annually since then.
Subroto Mukerjee conceived the idea in 1958 when he was the Chief of the Air Staff. Subroto Mukerjee Sports Education Society was formed in 1960 after his untimely death in Tokyo. The first tournament was held in 1960, with participation of about 50 school teams. The number of schools participating increased over the years. Since 1998, the tournament is played in two age groups, sub-Junior (under 14 years) and Junior (under 17 years). Madhyamgram High School, WEST BENGAL is famous for winning this tournament(U17) for 7 times in total (undisputed record till date) which include a hatrick (year 1981-82-83)
Subroto Cup is conducted by the Indian Air Force, with support from India's Ministry of Youth Affairs & Sports. For years, it was organized by the Durand football tournament committee. In 1994, the Air Force Sports Control took over the Subroto Cup tournament and has been conducting it since then.
Preliminary inter-school tournaments are held in every state of India starting from Sub-division, district and division level culminating in the inter-school finals at the national level. The school teams, winning the state inter-school championships are then invited to participate in the main Subroto Mukerjee Cup Tournament at Delhi.
The tournament is on "Knock-out/League" system and is played in accordance with laws and rules relating to Football Association and as accepted and interpreted by the All India Football Federation (AIFF). The duration of the game has been reduced to 30 minutes each half with an interval of 5 minutes. In the event of a draw, extra time of 7 minutes each half with one minute's interval is allowed. If a match ends in a draw even after extra time the Tournament Committee may direct that the game be decided by enforcing the Tie Breaker Rule.
In 2015 Championship, For the first time Teams of Boys and Girls are coming from Afghanistan for Subroto Cup. Brazilian legend and football's elder statesman Pele will come to India after a gap of 38 years after accepting an invitation to attend the final of the 56th edition of the Subroto Cup as its chief guest.
|Platinum Sponsor||Gold Sponsor||Associate Sponsor|
|LIC||Central Bank of India||State Bank of India|
|Indian Overseas Bank|
|Union Bank of India|
|Delhi Dynamos FC|
|Oriental Bank of Commerce|
|Confederation of Indian Industry|
|Libero Sports LLC|
Winners of sub-junior football tournament
At the request of the School Games Federation of India, the Subroto Cup organisers started a sub-junior (11-14 Years) football tournament from 1998. Sixteens teams participated in the inaugural tournament, while more schools took part in the following years. Since 2000, the fairplay trophy for the sub-junior group has been named in the memory of late Lieutenant Sandeep Loomba, who died in a mountaineering expedition at Abi Gamin peak. Fairplay trophy for the junior group, medals and certificates for both the age groups, are provided by the Subroto Society
|2016||Bangladesh Krira Shikkha Protishtan, Dhaka||0-0 aet; 4-2 pen||Government Model High School, Chandigarh|
|2015||Government Chawngfiang Middle School, Mizoram||3-2 aet||Lycée Esteqlal, Kabul|
|2014||Greenwood School, Dimapur||0-0; 5-4 pen||Government Model High School, Chandigarh|
|2013||Government Chawngfianga Middle School, Mizoram||3-1||Betkuchi High School, Guwahati|
|2012||Greenwood School, Dimapur||3-1||Kalyangarh Bidyamandir, Kolkata|
|2011||Butwal Elite English School, Butwal||1-0||Charity School, Kohima|
|2010||Government Model High School, Chandigarh||5-3||Hmar Veng High School, Kolasib|
|2009||Sukantanagar Vidyaniketan, Kolkata||1-0||Charity School, Kohima|
|2008||Greenwood School, Dimapur||2-0||Bangladesh Krira Shikkha Protishtan, Dhaka|
|2007||SAI Netaji Subhas Regional Centre, Lucknow||1-1 aet; 4-3 pen||Greenwood School, Dimapur|
|2006||Allied Co-Education School, Kathmandu||1-0||Government Model School, Chandigarh|
|2005||Army Public School Shillong, Shillong||2-2 aet; 5-3 pen||Nobel Academy of Higher Secondary School, Kathmandu|
|2004||Gyanodaya Bal Batika School, Lalitpur||4-0||Air Force Bal Bharati School, New Delhi|
|2003||Holy Heart School, Aizawl||1-0||Bangladesh Krira Shikkha Protishtan, Dhaka|
|2002||Holy Heart School, Aizawl||2-1||Namchi Sports Hostel, Namchi|
|2001||St John Bosco Boys Ups School, Sohra||1-0||St Ignatius' High School, Gumla|
|2000||Bokaro Ispat Vidyalaya, Bokaro Steel City||1-0||Galaxy Public School, Kathmandu|
|1999||ANFA Academy, Lalitpur||3-0||Shri Kamlakar Chaubey Adarsh Seva Vidhyalay Intermediate College, Varanasi|
|1998||Bokaro Ispat Vidyalaya, Bokaro Steel City||0-0 aet; 5-4 pen||Electric Veng, Middle School, Aizawl|
Winners of U-17 football tournament
|2015||AIFF Academy/Indian National U-17 Team||4-1||Little Angels Paradise Secondary School, Manipur|
- "52nd Subroto Cup kickstarts today". Yahoo! News. 4 Nov 2011. Retrieved 19 Mar 2012.
- "Sports Minister sanctions Rs 20 lakh for Subroto Cup". Press Information Bureau, Government of India. 25 October 2009. Retrieved 25 August 2013.
- "Teams of Boys and Girls coming from Afghanistan for Subroto Cup - The Indian Talks". Retrieved 2015-09-10.
- "Pele to come to India for Subroto Cup final". http://www.hindustantimes.com/. Retrieved 2015-09-10. External link in
- Mizoram school lifts Subroto Cup sub-junior trophy Indianexpress.com. 24 Sep 2015. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- Subroto Cup 2014 - U14 Boys Final: Nagaland Vs Chandigarh Ourdreamrun.com. 2014-09-30. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- Greenwood HSS wins Subroto Cup Thehindu.com September 18, 2012. Retrieved 20 October 2015.
- "Hutchings crowned Subroto Cup champs". The Indian Express. 13 August 2013. Retrieved 18 August 2013.
- "Subroto Cup from Oct 7". The Indian Express. 5 October 1992. Retrieved 18 August 2013.
- "Subroto Cup to kick off from Sept 2 with new format". The Hindu. 29 August 2008. Retrieved 18 August 2013.
- "Subroto Cup from September 1". The Times of India. 21 August 2004. Retrieved 18 August 2013.
- "Subroto Cup: Tamil Nadu boys to take on Ukraine in semis". The Times of India. 28 September 2012. Retrieved 19 August 2013.