Summer and Smoke (film)
|Summer and Smoke|
|Directed by||Peter Glenville|
|Produced by||Paul Nathan
Hal B. Wallis
|Written by||James Poe
Tennessee Williams (play)
|Music by||Elmer Bernstein|
|Edited by||Warren Low|
|Distributed by||Paramount Pictures|
Summer and Smoke is a 1961 American drama film directed by Peter Glenville based on the Tennessee Williams play of the same name. The film starred Laurence Harvey and Geraldine Page with Rita Moreno, Una Merkel, John McIntire, Thomas Gomez, Pamela Tiffin, Malcolm Atterbury, Lee Patrick and Earl Holliman. It was adapted by James Poe and Meade Roberts.The story follows a young reserved girl who meets a doctor who lives on the wild side. They become friends, but the beliefs they hold create difficulties for the relationship.
- Laurence Harvey as John Buchanan, Jr
- Geraldine Page as Alma Winemiller
- Rita Moreno as Rosa Zacharias
- Una Merkel as Mrs. Winemiller
- John McIntire as Dr. Buchanan
- Thomas Gomez as Papa Zacharias
- Pamela Tiffin as Nellie Ewell
- Malcolm Atterbury as Rev. Winemiller
- Lee Patrick as Mrs. Ewell
- Max Showalter as Roger Doremus (as Casey Adams)
- Earl Holliman as Archie Kramer
- Pepe Hern as Nico
- Best Actress in a Leading Role (Geraldine Page)
- Best Actress in a Supporting Role (Una Merkel)
- Best Art Direction-Set Decoration, Color (Hal Pereira, Walter Tyler, Samuel M. Comer, Arthur Krams)
- Best Music, Scoring of a Dramatic or Comedy Picture (Elmer Bernstein).
The film is recognized by the American Film Institute in these lists:
- "The 34th Academy Awards (1962) Nominees and Winners". oscars.org. Retrieved February 19, 2015.
- "AFI's 100 Years of Film Scores Nominees" (PDF). Retrieved August 6, 2016.
|This 1960s drama film–related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|