April 18, 1986 |
Queens, New York
|Listed height||6 ft 1 in (1.85 m)|
|Listed weight||195 lb (88 kg)|
|High school||Archbishop Molloy
(Queens, New York)
|NBA draft||2008 / Undrafted|
|2011–2012||New Jersey Nets|
|2014||Guaiqueríes de Margarita|
|Career highlights and awards|
Sundiata Kofi Gaines (born April 18, 1986) is an American professional basketball player who last played for Sidigas Avellino of the Lega Basket Serie A. He played college basketball at the University of Georgia.
- 1 High school career
- 2 College career
- 3 Professional career
- 4 NBA career statistics
- 5 International career statistics
- 6 References
- 7 External links
High school career
In his freshman season at Georgia, Gaines had a very productive year as he led the team in minutes, assists, steals, free throw attempts and makes, as well as ranking second in rebounding. In 27 games, he averaged 12.0 points, 4.9 rebounds, 2.9 assists and 2.4 steals per game.
In his sophomore season, he ranked third among all SEC players in steals at 2.0 per game. In 30 games, he averaged 10.3 points, 5.1 rebounds and 3.4 assists per game. He was named the team’s MVP by the coaching staff at the season's end.
In his junior season, he led Georgia in minutes, starts, rebounds, assists and steals. He was also named to the 2007 All-SEC second team. In 32 games, he averaged 10.5 points, 5.7 rebounds 4.8 assists and 2.3 steals per game.
In his senior season, he was named to the 2008 All-SEC second team and All-Defensive team. In 34 games, he averaged 14.8 points, 6.0 rebounds, 4.2 assists and 1.8 steals per game.
On January 5, 2010, he signed a 10-day contract with the Utah Jazz. On January 14, 2010, in just his fifth NBA game, Gaines hit a 3-pointer at the buzzer to give the Jazz a dramatic 97-96 win over the Cleveland Cavaliers. It was the first 3-pointer of his NBA career.
On January 15, 2010, he signed a second 10-day contract with the Jazz. On January 25, 2010, he signed with the Jazz for the rest of the season.
Gaines joined the Utah Jazz for the 2010 NBA Summer League. On October 22, 2010, he was waived by the Jazz.
On January 13, 2011, Gaines signed a 10-day contract with the Toronto Raptors. On January 24, 2011, he signed a second 10-day contract with the Raptors. On January 26, 2011, he was waived by the Raptors.
On February 28, 2011, Gaines signed a 10-day contract with the New Jersey Nets. On March 10, 2011, he signed a second 10-day contract with the Nets. On March 20, 2011, he signed a multi-year deal with the Nets. On March 23, 2011, Gaines suffered a season-ending right hip injury.
Gaines joined the Washington Wizards for the 2013 NBA Summer League.
On November 22, 2013, he signed a two-month deal with Beşiktaş of Turkey. On January 15, 2014, he played his final game for Beşiktaş, recording 4 points, 7 assists and 2 steals in 15 minutes of play.
NBA career statistics
|GP||Games played||GS||Games started||MPG||Minutes per game|
|FG%||Field goal percentage||3P%||3-point field goal percentage||FT%||Free throw percentage|
|RPG||Rebounds per game||APG||Assists per game||SPG||Steals per game|
|BPG||Blocks per game||PPG||Points per game||Bold||Career high|
International career statistics
|2011–12||Super Liga||BC Armia||6||6||26.0||.406||.300||.688||4.2||6.5||2.5||.0||12.0|
- "Sundiata Gaines Bio". nmnathletics.com. Retrieved February 2, 2014.
- "Sundiata Gaines Stats". Sports-Reference.com. Retrieved February 2, 2014.
- Sundiata Gaines to Play in Italian League
- Idaho Stampede make good in 2009 NBDL Draft
- Gaines' 3-pointer at buzzer sinks Cavs' late comeback attempt
- Gaines game-winning shot to beat the Cavs on YouTube
- Jazz Sign Gaines For Remainder Of Season
- "Jazz waive Sundiata Gaines, Othyus Jeffers, Demetris Nichols and Ryan Thompson". InsideHoops.com. October 22, 2010. Retrieved October 22, 2010.
- "Wolves Sign Sundiata Gaines". NBA.com. November 12, 2010. Retrieved November 12, 2010.
- "Timberwolves waive Sundiata Gaines". InsideHoops.com. January 4, 2011. Retrieved January 4, 2011.
- "Raptors Sign Gaines To 10-Day Contract". NBA.com. January 13, 2011. Retrieved January 13, 2011.
- "Raptors Sign Gaines To A Second 10-Day Contract". NBA.com. January 24, 2011. Retrieved January 24, 2011.
- "Raptors sign Trey Johnson and waive Sundiata Gaines". Sportando.net. January 26, 2011. Retrieved January 26, 2011.
- "NETS Sign Sundiata Gaines to a 10-Day Contract". NBA.com. February 28, 2011. Retrieved February 28, 2011.
- "NETS Sign Sundiata Gaines to a Second 10-Day Contract". NBA.com. March 10, 2011. Retrieved March 10, 2011.
- "NETS Sign Sundiata Gaines to Multi-Year Contract". NBA.com. March 20, 2011. Retrieved March 20, 2011.
- Sundiata Gaines Out For Season With Fractured Hip
- Sundiata Gaines signed in Georgia with BC Armia
- Pacers Sign Three Free Agents
- Pacers Exercise Option on George; Release Three Players
- Sundiata Gaines signs in China with Fujian
- "Besiktas sign Sundiata Gaines to a two-month deal". Sportando.com. November 22, 2013. Retrieved December 5, 2013.
- Springfield Armor acquire Sundiata Gaines in trade with Austin Toros
- Armor Acquire Sundiata Gaines Via Trade with Austin
- Source: Reno Bighorns Trade For Sundiata Gaines
- "Gaiqueries de Margarita sign Sundiata Gaines, close to Antoine Wright". Sportando.com. April 22, 2014. Retrieved May 4, 2014.
- Avellino lands Marc Trasolini and Sundiata Gaines
- Is Former Georgia Basketball Star Sundiata Gaines out of NBA Chances?