Theatrical release poster
|Directed by||Sadhu Kokila|
|Produced by||K. Manju|
|Story by||Vakkantham Vamsi|
|Based on||Kick (2009)|
by Surender Reddy
|Music by||Arjun Janya|
|Edited by||Joni Harsha|
K Manju Cinemaas
|Budget||₹9 crore (US$1.3 million)|
Super Ranga is a 2014 Indian [|Kannada]]-language action comedy film directed by Sadhu Kokila and produced by K. Manju under the banner K Manju Cinemaas. It stars Upendra and Kriti Kharbanda in lead roles. The supporting cast features Priyanka Rao, Raghu Mukherjee, Hema Chaudhary ,Doddanna, Rangayana Raghu, Bullet Prakash, and Sridhar. The film is a remake of the 2009 Telugu film, Kick. The limited theater release may have contributed to the 35 days of its run with a 1-week gap after completing 4 weeks.
This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (January 2019)
- Upendra as 'Kick' Sri Ranga
- Kriti Kharbanda as Naina
- Sadhu Kokila as Prakash
- Priyanka Rao
- Raghu Mukherjee as Ranganath
- Hema Chaudhary as MLA Kanaka Ratna
- Bullet Prakash
- Rangayana Raghu
- K. Manju as motorbike buyer
It was announced in August 2013 that the film would be directed by Sadhu Kokila, after speculations that Ramesh Aravind and Loki would be directing it. Kokila had directed Upendra previously in Raktha Kanneeru (2003) and Anatharu (2007), both of which saw success at the box-office.
The filming began in September 2013. The song "Dance Raja Dance", of the film was shot in Slovenia. It features 12 characters of Upendra in a single visual, made possible by the rotography technique. The film completed its 35-day shoot in Malaysia and was one of the few Kannada language films to have shot there extensively.
|Soundtrack album by|
|Released||22 August 2014|
|Genre||Feature film soundtrack|
|1.||"Dance Raja Dance"||K. Kalyan||Upendra||3:45|
|2.||"Chombu Chombu"||Upendra, V. Nagendra Prasad||Vijay Prakash||4:41|
|3.||"Nanagu Ninagu"||K. Kalyan||Tippu, Archana Ravi||4:29|
|4.||"Ninade Nenapu"||K. Kalyan||Arjun Janya||4:26|
Kavya Christopher of The Times of India gave the album a rating of 3/5 and wrote, "It's an Upendra film. One that has to be quirky in every way, and the music is no different." She added that the song "Dance Raja Dance" is the best of the album.
The film was announced that it would be released on 18 September 2014 to coincide with the occasion of Upendra's birthday. It was released however, the next day. It was reported that the film released in 170 theaters across Karnataka.
Upon its theatrical release, the film received positive to mixed reviews from critics. Shyam Prasad S. of Bangalore Mirror reviewed the film and wrote, "[Sadhu Kokila] manages to give an 'Uppi' touch to the film", a reference to the characters portrayed by Upendra in his earlier films. He concludes praising the role of cinematographer Ashok Kashyap and the acting department. S. Viswanath of Deccan Herald reviewed the film giving it a rating of three out of five and called the film "chuckle-a-minute mad caper". He added writing, "Brimming with trademark Upendra mannerisms, the film is a breezy, boisterous ride." Shashiprasad S. M. of Deccan Chronicle gave the film a 2.5/5 rating and writes, "A slight disappointment, it loses its sheen irrespective of the glittery star cast, to boost the box office collections." He called the plot "the real hero.. but the film as an entertainer lacks the kick." Bharath Bhat of FilmiBeat gave the film a 3/5 rating and writes, "Super Ranga is a tailor made movie for Real Star Upendra. The role suits his crazy mannerism. The movie is a must watch for Uppi Fans."
Character map of remakes
|Super Ranga (2014)|
|Ravi Teja||Jayam Ravi||Salman Khan||Upendra|
|Ileana D'Cruz||Tamannaah Bhatia||Jacqueline Fernandez||Kriti Kharbanda|
|Shaam||Shaam||Randeep Hooda||Raghu Mukherjee|
- "Superro Ranga to Hit Screens on Uppi's Birthday". The New Indian Express. 25 August 2014. Retrieved 26 August 2014.
- "Sadhu Kokila back to direction". The Times of India. 28 August 2013. Retrieved 22 September 2014.
- "Uppi's Superro Ranga launched". The Times of India. 2 September 2013. Retrieved 26 August 2014.
- "12 Upendras to romance Kriti in a song". The Times of India. 1 September 2014. Retrieved 2 September 2014.
- "Upendra's Super Ranga releases today". Rediff.com. 19 September 2014. Retrieved 20 September 2014.
- "Super Ranga (Original Motion Picture Soundtrack) - EP". iTunes. Retrieved 2 September 2014.
- "Music review: Super Ranga". The Times of India. 29 August 2014. Retrieved 2 September 2014.
- "Superro Ranga to Hit Screens on Uppi's Birthday". The New Indian Express. 25 August 2014. Retrieved 22 September 2014.
- "'Super Ranga' Review Roundup: Opens to Positive Reviews". International Business Times. 20 September 2014. Retrieved 22 September 2014.
- "Movie review: Super Ranga". Bangalore Mirror. 19 September 2014. Retrieved 20 September 2014.
- "Upendra-starrer Super Ranga is a chuckle-a-minute mad caper". Deccan Herald. 20 September 2014. Retrieved 22 September 2014.
- "Movie Review 'Super Ranga': A repetition of Upendra's mannerism in his recent films". Deccan Chronicle. 21 September 2014. Retrieved 22 September 2014.
- "Super Ranga: Movie Review". 19 September 2014. Retrieved 20 September 2014.